Solved Black screen after standby.

The screen goes black after resuming from blanktime/standby, only the mouse cursor is visible and can be moved. The desktop session cannot be resumed and I have to switch to tty2 then back to tty1 just to kill Xorg. This behavior is after upgrading the x11-servers/xorg-server form version 1.20.9,1 to 1.20.9_1,1 or at least is my hunch.

System specs:

_ FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd64
_ Xorg: 7.7_3
_ xorg-server: 1.20.9_1,1.
_ WM: i3
_ video: IntelHD 4000 (IvyBridge)
_driver:
Code:
cat /etc/rc.conf | grep i915                                                                                                                                                                                               
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

cat /boot/loader.conf| grep i915
drm.i915.enable_rc6=7                                                                                                                                                                                           
drm.i915.semaphores="1"
drm.i915.enable_fbc="1

serverflags.conf:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LVDS-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "58"
    Option "StandbyTime" "59"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

LE:
sysctl.conf:
Code:
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3                                     
hw.acpi.reset_video=1
hw.acpi.verbose=1
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=0
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
hw.acpi.power_button_state=S5
hw.acpi.sleep_delay=3

May be there is an issue with the i915 driver in combination with XOrg. One one of my computers I have the same setup, but with an older Intel internal grafics.

I have made a software using math/py37-matplotlib which can generate more than one plot window. When I toggle the windows they are not redrawn. I am sure that this has worked before. The behaviour is also ok with two laptops, one with NVIDIA and one with ATI grafics. I am using x11-wm/dwm but x11-wm/i3 behaves similar.

In worst case the issue to be either somewhere on my side. But I can live with the regression and wait what happens with the i915 and XOrg stuff. By the way, there is the same misbehaviour if the move a totally unrelated window as a pdf reader over the plots and return the pdf to its original window. I am not sure if my explanations are understandable somehow.

At least there could be some relation to your computers issue.

Try removing the xf86-video-intel driver and use modesetting instead.
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "myintelcard"
    Driver     "modesetting"
EndSection

I’m seeing the same thing with Arrandale and modesetting. Although I was gong back into suspend and out to fix it.

I can confirm that the intel driver doesn't work as good as before with 12.2. I got random freezes which were not present with 12.1.
Using modesetting instead solved this problem as well.

Back