• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Binary-only drivers in the base system

Mappack

Hello everyone,

I am planning to run FreeBSD on my laptop as soon as I get Coreboot running on it, so I have a question: Does a regular FreeBSD install include non-free binary-only drivers, like those for Nvidia graphics?

The reason I'm asking is because when I installed TrueOS to check FreeBSD compatibility with my hardware, it offered to install some non-free drivers which I could do without.

PS By 'non-free' I mean not open source. I'm coming from Trisquel where the term 'non-free' is used, I don't know what you prefer to say here.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Does a regular FreeBSD install include non-free binary-only drivers, like those for Nvidia graphics?
No. With FreeBSD it's fairly simple, nothing is installed by default. You get the FreeBSD OS and that's it. You decide what to install afterwards, which applications and whatnot.

PS By 'non-free' I mean not open source.
The opposite of open source is closed source. Closed source can be free (there are plenty of closed source applications you can use for free). The mentioned NVidia driver is probably a good example of this, it's closed source and free to use.

Mappack

First of all, thanks for the quick reply.

No. With FreeBSD it's fairly simple, nothing is installed by default. You get the FreeBSD OS and that's it. You decide what to install afterwards, which applications and whatnot.
Yeah, that's what I really like about the BSDs. I just thought maybe there are some drivers that are not open source but you were allowed to distribute in some way. if that is not the case, great.

The opposite of open source is closed source. Closed source can be free (there are plenty of closed source applications you can use for free). The mentioned NVidia driver is probably a good example of this, it's closed source and free to use
Oh, right. The term was 'closed source'. I meant the 'free' in 'non-free' as in GNU's free software definition.