big fat32 usb drives in gnome

Hi all,

i have troubles with autmounting of my fat32 formatted 240Gb usb drive in gnome 2.22 on 7.1-RELEASE. Smaller flash drives (4Gb)automount fine, as well as big drives formated with ffs. However, i use this big drive as my music library which needs to be accessible from both unix and windoze machines.

I did all the troubleshooting steps from hal faq, and the problem appears to be in mount_msdosfs, which requires 'large' option. I tried to add it through gconf to /system/storage/default_options/vfat but problem just gets wierder. Gnome throws load of errors and finally mounts volume. However it does not appear in /media/.hal-mtab, and therefore it is not possible to unmount it through gnome-mount. If i unmount it manually with umount it remounts automatically, throws loads of errors and we go all over again.

Any help would be appretiated...

Sorry, for the fuss. It appears that problem was with badly formatted disk.

I deleted partition with help of sysinstall, made a new one also in sysinstall, then issued newfs_msdos -F 32 -L MYLABEL, and after a reboot everything worked fine.

So it seems that big fat32 usb drives in gnome can be mounted without problems after adding 'large' option to /system/storage/default_options/vfat in gconf.

Back