ZFS Big ashift side effect?

I

Ioozer

My SSD is 512/512. When I installed I mistakenly choose force 4K. Will it waste more space or have any other side effects?

My SSD is 512/512.
That's what it claims. Doesn't necessarily mean it actually uses it. Besides that, it's more or less a non-issue on SSD, the drive's firmware will shift and move things around in any case.
Will it waste more space or have any other side effects?
You mean like slack? Or just that you have to skip a couple of blocks in order to line them up on 4K? With most drives were talking about a really small percentage of the overall capacity. Basic file management metadata is probably going to use up much more than that.

That's what it claims. Doesn't necessarily mean it actually uses it. Besides that, it's more or less a non-issue on SSD, the drive's firmware will shift and move things around in any case.

You mean like slack? Or just that you have to skip a couple of blocks in order to line them up on 4K? With most drives were talking about a really small percentage of the overall capacity. Basic file management metadata is probably going to use up much more than that.
On Windows, when I format a usb drive with fat32. If I choose 4096 the drive could contain more files than 32768. Because files are align to 4KB rather than 32KB. I wonder if the same logic apply here.

That's slack due to block sizes. Has nothing to do with the alignment of partitions. Besides that ZFS can use subblock allocation, FAT32 cannot.

Back