Solved bhyve Windows-10 VM stopped working!

Funny things are happening.
Bhyve doesn't start my VM anymore. For certain reasons my mobo BIOS settings were reset, I had to re-enable VT-d etc etc. Also swapped my PCI-e cards to different slots (they are PPT for that VM). But everything is functional, no hardware problems with that.
Of course, I fixed up all the PPT names accordingly, but now bhyve just exits on trying to boot!
Like this:
Code:
./bhyve-1: line 11:  2954 Abort trap              bhyve -S -c sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 -m 8G -H -w -s 0,hostbridge -s 4,virtio-blk,win-alt.img,sectorsize=512/4096 -s 5,ahci-cd,Win10_21H1_English_x64.iso -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1600,h=900,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,stdio -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd windows-10
Here I even tried to start it without ANY ppt devices, even didn't use ppt devices at this boot, for purity sake.
Even tried without my existing VM, just Win 10 installation ISO to boot from -- same thing.
Gets as far as black screen with "Type any key to boot from installation CD...". Then tries to boot -- and exits, imagine? Not funny at all :(.

What could it be, I wonder?
The next thing I wanna try is clean installation.

Well, same behaviour in a fresh new installation on the same machine... Going to have hard time trying to debug this problem now :(

OK, changed the topic name to reflect my recent discovery. In fact, it only exists on signal 6 when I'm trying to start a Windows-10 (of latest revision) VM , whether my existing one or even and installation DVD only new virtual machine (to try Setup).

NO such problem with Ubuntu DVD -- it boots fine into Live CD, which is all proof I need to see that it at least works.
I wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same.

Here is the part of the onscreen message I didn't print in #1:
Code:
vm exit[0]
              reason        VMX
                                       rip        0x00000000015eaa03
                                                                              inst_length    2
             status        0
                                     exit_reason    2 (Triple fault)
                                                                            qualification    0x0000000000000000
                              inst_type        0
                                                             inst_error  0
OK, googling shows "Triple fault" may be caused by enabling VT-x. Let's try to disable it for a change. The thing is, I DON'T REMEMBER which BIOS settings I had when it worked.

Disclaimer: I work at Microsoft, but not on Windows, Azure, or Hyper-V.

Many PCs and hypervisors work well with Windows, but bhyve isn't one of them. When I attempt to install Windows (both desktop and server versions), the VM sometimes stops and needs multiple reboots before Windows installs. I never got the error you got.

If you don't remember the BIOS options, try multiple combos. Maybe you forgot to set something.

Maybe the motherboard or RAM is bad, considering the settings reset. Do you have another system you could test bhyve on, 99% of servers/PCs made in the last 10 years should work. Could you run Memtest86+?

If the host OS can be changed, could you try Linux, Illumos, or Windows (assuming if you have a license) as a host OS? Could you also try VirtualBox? If those fail, then your hardware is bad. If you are on Apple hardware, you could also try macOS.

Disclaimer: I work at Microsoft, but not on Windows, Azure, or Hyper-V.

Many PCs and hypervisors work well with Windows, but bhyve isn't one of them. When I attempt to install Windows (both desktop and server versions), the VM sometimes stops and needs multiple reboots before Windows installs. I never got the error you got.

If you don't remember the BIOS options, try multiple combos. Maybe you forgot to set something.

Maybe the motherboard or RAM is bad, considering the settings reset. Do you have another system you could test bhyve on, 99% of servers/PCs made in the last 10 years should work. Could you run Memtest86+?

If the host OS can be changed, could you try Linux, Illumos, or Windows (assuming if you have a license) as a host OS? Could you also try VirtualBox? If those fail, then your hardware is bad. If you are on Apple hardware, you could also try macOS.
Thanks a lot, man. I'm actually not a newby with bhyve + Win 10 guest. I do have another machine (at work) where bhyve works fine (Windows 10 Pro guest, same as here). But let's talk about THIS machine.
And if I didn't make it clear in my first post:
Bhyve doesn't start my VM anymore
That means, my existing VM with Windows 10 Pro guest that I've been using for a couple of years now. But now it crashes. As well as booting from a Windows ISO crashes.
Those BIOS options is a real nightmare... so I followed the course that seemed safest and mostly left all defaults. Except, of course, that by default VT-d was disabled, so I had to re-enable it. Other than that -- nothing... Sure I don't remember which it was BEFORE.

Back to your questions (they are good ones): I DO run Windows 10 Pro (another lisense, of course) on the same machine as a host -- no problem at all. So hardware is all right. Nor did it become bad all of a sudden because I replaced a power supply, right?

And if I was on Apple hardware... Nope, it's a funny Chinese motherboard made to support old Intel Xeons (which come cheap for a 8 core 16 thread CPU) based on Intel server chip. But it works fine!

Anyways, neel, your outpour of questions and recommendations have set my mind on the right track LOL :)))))
I got back to BIOS (and nothing else could I think of anyway) and used the option to LOAD SAFE DEFAULTS. And believe it or not, that fixed it.

It's a shame, with this error gone, I won't be able to find again those 'wrong' BIOS settings that made that error. Not that I'm very sorry, but...

My suggestion is to always save an image of the situation before to make relevant changes,so that u can compare it with the new one and try to don't forget to do like that. It can save your ass a lot of time. That is a scientific mindset : excluding / adding variables,comparing them with the goal to find the little differences that...make the difference. Science can evolve when we can replicate the operations with safety.

Back