bhyve BHYVE Unable to add vtnet0 to bridge0

Inside of a bhyve virtual machine, I am trying to add vtnet0 to bridge0, but I get the following error:
Code:
root@igb0:~ # ifconfig bridge0 addm vtnet0
ifconfig: BRDGADD vtnet0: Operation not supported
The idea being that the NIC (igb0) is PCI passthrough to the VM, with a tap connection so that jails can access the internet while shielding host from network traffic. I had this working in 12.2. On host, I did a clean reinstall to 13.0-rc2, and now I'm trying to configure the NIC VM again, and running into this error.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I don't remember this error when I was originally setting this up. Thanks

Edit: I destroyed the 13.0 VM, and installed 12.2. No problems with adding vtnet0 to the bridge, so it looks like this is a regression or bug of some kind; ... unless this was an intentional change.

I reported the bug: PR 254343.

There's a simple workaround: Bring down vtnet0, add it to the bridge and bring it up again → works like normal 🧐

BawdyAnarchist could you check whether 12.2 brings vtnet interfaces up if there is NO configuration for them? I'm curious whether the bug existed in previous releases as well, but was hidden by the fact these interfaces were still down by the time they were added to bridges by /etc/rc.d/netif

I reported the bug: PR 254343.

There's a simple workaround: Bring down vtnet0, add it to the bridge and bring it up again → works like normal 🧐

BawdyAnarchist could you check whether 12.2 brings vtnet interfaces up if there is NO configuration for them? I'm curious whether the bug existed in previous releases as well, but was hidden by the fact these interfaces were still down by the time they were added to bridges by /etc/rc.d/netif

I changed rc.conf to simply ifconfig_igb0="NO" and deleted all of the other configurations. Rebooted the VM.

It looks like vtnet0 was down after rebooting into the VM. I was able to create bridge0 and add/delete vtnet0 regardless of its state.

I'm still running my VM on 12.2, will probably upgrade once 13.0-RELEASE drops.

Back