Bhyve now supports Windows 2012 (Say goodbye to VirtualBox?)

I don't know much about QEMU but it seems far more Linux-orientated. I also believe it mainly relies on KVM to provide near-native performance.
Bhyve is effectively KVM for FreeBSD. It's a very lightweight hypervisor, 100% designed on/for FreeBSD, making full use of hardware virtualisation features (VT-x,VT-d,etc) - In fact it won't work without VT-x.

Maybe VirtualBox is better than the credit I give it, but I tend to see it as more of a hobby/workstation hypervisor. Bhyve & KVM are more like ESXi/Hyper-V.

Thanks for the information. I usually have no need for virtualization, and run QEMU to debug kernels or to run an OS that needs hardware I don't have. BHyve sounds interesting, but I seem not to find any direct comparisons of these players on the internet. Perhaps I should set up all three, and check it for myself, as an academic exercise :)

Maybe there's a big difference between them, relative to running later versions of Windows. I see oblique references to that in the thread ...

Hi :)

Search this quiestion in FAQ
https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve
But no answer... ))))

bhyve is a great project that opens new opportunities in FreeBSD.
What about the future bhyve ? )
Will be supported actively? )
Program code bhyve in this moment is good(most of the code) and does't have big bugs ?

windows 7 without a "tablet" option is trash one.
I so and can't found xhci driver for that "bhyve"' xhci device. intel's drivers not compatible.

Program code bhyve in this moment is good(most of the code) and does't have big bugs ?
I use it for long time in "production" environment, works very stable, don't see any problems at all.
can't found xhci driver for that "bhyve"' xhci device. intel's drivers not compatible.
That's true, however, you really don't need the framebuffer frequently.
net/freerdp does everything for you, including sound, directory mappings etc.

Have you tried this post recommendations? I'm going to try, but with Win 10. But people report it working with Win 7 as well...
Ok, I have tried this with win 10, it works like charm. No ISO manipulation needed, no nothing, It installs, boots and gets accessed via, for example, net/tigervnc. It would be better, of course, to use net/freerdp, but RDP is not (officially) available in Windows 10 HOME installation. There is rdpwrap workaround, but I wasn't very successful in bringing that up.

I also found this page about sound in bhyve, but that requires patching and rebuilding bhyve. I wonder if it is possible to rebuild only bhyve: of course it is, but whether or not other parts need be rebuilt as well — this I don't know.

Ok, I have tried this with win 10, it works like charm. No ISO manipulation needed, no nothing, It installs, boots and gets accessed via, for example, net/tigervnc. It would be better, of course, to use net/freerdp, but RDP is not (officially) available in Windows 10 HOME installation. There is rdpwrap workaround, but I wasn't very successful in bringing that up.

Thanks for rdpwrap, haven't heard about it.

I also found this page about sound in bhyve, but that requires patching and rebuilding bhyve. I wonder if it is possible to rebuild only bhyve: of course it is, but whether or not other parts need be rebuilt as well — this I don't know.

If Windows is the guest os then its a lot easier to get sound then to rebuild bhyve with patches, just use sound over RDP, to use it add /sound switch to xfreerdp.

Consider also all these options for more convenient work:

% xfreerdp /u:USER /w:WIDTH-OF-WINDOW /h:HEIGHT-OF-WINDOW /v:IP-ADDRESS +clipboard +fonts +home-drive /sound /bpp:32 /kbd:0x415

Other switches are +clipboard for copy-paste clipboard, +fonts for Clear Type smoothed fonts, +home-drive for having $HOME mounted as CIFS share under that guest machine, /sound for audio over RDP (no bhyve patches needed), /bpp:32 for full 32bit colors and /kbd:0x415 for keyboard You need, 415 probably will not be useful for You.

But people report it working with Win 7 as well...
I'm running Windows 7 in my production. However, I never bothered with tablet mode. Framebuffer VNC is needed only once, until I get network/RDP. I used sysprep to create minimal Windows 7 installation and just cloning it when needed.

Thanks for rdpwrap, haven't heard about it.
And I was finally able to make it work. A dll fix was needed to make it work. And I had to enable GUI-only authentication method on Windows host, otherwise there start some unclear certificate problems with freerdp. So thank you for your xfreerdp command line hints, I was really lost among the multiple options there...

OK, it works fine now :) :) ! I finally said goodbye to VMplayer, not only to virtualbox. With USB3.0 whole controller and a NIC passthrough along with correct CPUs option to bhyve it beats VMplayer.

Back