ZFS Beware Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)

I am about to buy two additional 3 TB disks for my ZFS server, and glad I did some research.

Phishfry mentions this subject in a profile post last week, but I reckon it deserves wider exposure.

Beware vendors secretly changing from Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) to Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR).
The random write performance of SMR is lousy, and it also has problems with any sustained writing, like re-silvering in a NAS.

WD Reds in the 2 TB to 6 TB range all now use SMR.

Seagate and Toshiba are doing it as well.

While you are mostly not wrong (the random write performance of shingled is atrocious, and being dishonest about what the product does is really bad) ...

Shingled recording can be a good thing, or even a wonderful thing. If your workload is a good match to the type of recording, or if your workload can be adjusted to be aware of the details of shingling (like zone boundaries), or if you even move the management of shingle zone into your software stack, it can give you wonderful storage efficiency gain (about 15-20% more capacity at the same cost), really good sequential write throughput, while maintaining random reads. And it is significantly cheaper than the alternative technologies that are on the horizon (like HAMR and MAMR), so you get more byte/$ and byte/second/$.

The problem here is not that these drives are shingled. The problem here is that they were sold into a market for which they are only partially appropriate: a market that's highly price sensitive (they're good at that), typically but not always has bursty workloads, and that does not tolerate performance regressions.

My backup disk at home is probably shingled (it's a 4TB Seagate, a few years old), and I love it: it was really cheap (about $70), and it's performance is irrelevant. But then, I knew what I was buying at the time.

I accept that shingling has manufacturing cost advantages, and may be appropriate in some applications.

However WD is very quietly switching from CMR to SMR on WD drives branded and sold specifically for NAS applications.

These SMR drives have appalling sequential write speeds (~40MB/s from blank).

There are numerous reports of major issues resilvering new WD Reds (EFAX suffix) into an existing array.

I don't believe that SMR WD Reds are fit for their stated purpose.

There is a problem with your statement "SMR drives have appaling sequential write speeds". If you do actual synthetic micro benchmarks, SMR drives have very good sequential write speed, pretty much the same as normal drives, for sequential large writes, namely IO sizes that are near a megabyte and up (say starting at 1/8 megabyte), truly sequential in address order, for long stretches (dozens or hundreds of megabytes). And yes, I used to do these tests all the time. What they can't do is random writes.

I think the reason for that contradiction is this: The measurements you quote above as from ZFS resilvering. But if you look how ZFS works (see for example the daemon book, or Kirk McKusick's tutorial on ZFS internals), it's RAID layer performs reconstruction in a pattern that looks pretty chaotic from a disk viewpoint. That's one of the reasons why ZFS resilver can be quite slow when the file system is very full, considerably slower than tradition RAID. But it can also be much faster than traditional RAID in other situations.

But I agree with you: WD switching from PMR to SMR and then being dishonest about it, that is not acceptable. The problem here is not SMR drives; those can be excellent if correctly used. I know that Dropbox has been talking publicly about their good experience with SMR drives. But they are not a drop-in replacement for traditional disks if your workload isn't carefully curated. Whether "household and small business NAS" is suitable for SMR is a question that I don't have an answer for; with ZFS it probably isn't, but I think ZFS is a tiny fraction of that market.

Ah, now we are getting to something...

For quite a while I was noticing the "rainbow colors" in HDD marketing - not only with WD, but probably most prominent there. And I noticed (and commented earlier here) that there is no information whatsoever given about the actual technical differences between these models. What is given instead, is pages full of stupid marketing babble, or to say it frankly: pure bullshit.
So I finally got to the assumption that there is not much difference between them (any mechanical drive actually has to sustain 24/7, otherwise it is crap - and most do sustain that much better than frequent power on/off with the involved temperature walks) and that all that is mostly about making customers pay more than necessary.

But now we are getting to something. Yeah, that figures... I can only hope they get really punished by the market...

For quite a while I was noticing the "rainbow colors" in HDD marketing - not only with WD, but probably most prominent there. And I noticed (and commented earlier here) that there is no information whatsoever given about the actual technical differences between these models.
At the level of consumers who buy one or 5 drives, and buy them through "the channel" (meaning resellers), that might be true, or it might not. If you buy a significant quantity of disk drives (thousands or millions), you will get very accurate technical documentation. The assumption behind that is that most individual disk users do not have the technical knowledge to make use of the detailed specification; on the contrary, they are likely to reach incorrect conclusions. Given my observations, that assumption is mostly accurate.

So I finally got to the assumption that there is not much difference between them ...
That is patently false. There are very significant differences between disk drives. Even ones that look very similar from the outside. For an example (but very outdated) study, look at Erik Riedel and Dave Anderson: "More than an interface: SCSI versus ATA", it is from the early 2000s. Even though at the time 3.5" drives all looked the same, and had similar superficial performance metrics (capacity, bandwidth, seek times), their hardware was significantly different, with significant impact on finer metrics.

any mechanical drive actually has to sustain 24/7, otherwise it is crap
No. Many disk drives are unused much of the time, either idle or completely powered down. On the other hand, many drives are used 24x365 at their capacity limits. And everything in between. Paying for a drive that is capable of running round the clock, if you only intend to use it for 8 hours for 5 days a week, is not only silly, it is actually detrimental, because if one had bought a drive engineered for the real workload, it would be better at it. While a significant fraction of the 3.5" disk production has famously had problems with being powered down / spun down (which to a large extent killed the idea of MAID), on the other hand 2.5" laptop-style drives are extremely good at that. Which is rapidly becoming irrelevant, as portable devices have mostly switched to flash, and home desktop computers are a vanishing breed.

At the level of consumers who buy one or 5 drives, and buy them through "the channel" (meaning resellers), that might be true, or it might not. If you buy a significant quantity of disk drives (thousands or millions), you will get very accurate technical documentation.

That may be the case. But, at a level of a consultant, I am supposed to know about different solutions and their pros and cons, based on technical knowledge.

The assumption behind that is that most individual disk users do not have the technical knowledge to make use of the detailed specification; on the contrary, they are likely to reach incorrect conclusions. Given my observations, that assumption is mostly accurate.

I would probably be the last to argue against that (many) people are stupid. But then also, to state or to imply such is considered offensive.

And, in any case, I still have a paper here, dcas_sp.pdf; it has 218 pages and it describes the
OEM HARD DISK DRIVE SPECIFICATIONS for
DCAS-34330 / DCAS-32160
SCSI-3 FAST-20 50/68/80-pin
3.5-Inch Hard Disk Drive ( 4330 / 2160 MB )

This was publicly available, and I don't think that this has hurt or damaged anybody, nor led anybody to "incorrect conclusions" - because those prone to incorrect conclusions wouldn't have read it anyway.
And that's about what I consider quality.

That is patently false. There are very significant differences between disk drives. Even ones that look very similar from the outside. For an example (but very outdated) study, look at Erik Riedel and Dave Anderson: "More than an interface: SCSI versus ATA"

That is not compareable. I am talking about disks that definitely look different (because one is red, the other green, then purple, blue, etc.), but on the (very sparse) data that is published show no relevant technical differences. (SCSI vs. AT is a relevant difference, and so is shingled vs. conventional.) So, as long as nobody comes up with a profound statement about what the technical differences actually are, I just assume there are no significant ones. Here people came up with the differences, and it's quite a whopper.

No. Many disk drives are unused much of the time, either idle or completely powered down. On the other hand, many drives are used 24x365 at their capacity limits. And everything in between. Paying for a drive that is capable of running round the clock, if you only intend to use it for 8 hours for 5 days a week, is not only silly, it is actually detrimental, because if one had bought a drive engineered for the real workload, it would be better at it.

Yeah, but that doesn't matter, because that choice isn't really to make. Any drive is capable running 24/7 if it can run 8 hours. It doesn't get tired and need to relax after 8 hours.

How long it can run in continuous seek is a more appropriate question, I dont have an answer there, I only remember trade fairs at the end of the last century where manufacturers showed open drives in continuous seek. That might be the only point where there actually is a difference between desktop and enterprise models.

But otherwise there is no difference between 8/5 and 24/7:
Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   135   135   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       117
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   123   123   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       173 (Average 175)
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       16097
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   140   140   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       33
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   094   094   000    Old_age   Always       -       47715
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       2507
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   068   068   000    Old_age   Always       -       39430
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   068   068   000    Old_age   Always       -       39430
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   162   162   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 16/61)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

What we can see here:
  1. We have 47715 hours runtime, that brings us from 100 to 94. So this is calculated for 800'000 hours of operation (90 years). No problem here.
  2. We have 16097 power-up events. That brings us from 100 to 96. This appears to be calculated for 400'000 starts.
  3. But we have 39430 headloads, and that brings us from 100 to 68. So it is 120'000 headloads, and this is the limiting factor, because no start without headload, and with default power-saving we have unload after 2 minutes (unless one does configure that properly, which would require proper documentation).
So, in 24/7 it will probably run for 90 years without issue, and this is a desktop model. There is no such thing as a special 24/7 duty.

on the other hand 2.5" laptop-style drives are extremely good at that.

I got those to die in no time. They don't stand my usage patterns..

And, in any case, I still have a paper here, ...
It was indeed the tradition that the full specification and full interface manuals (device-specific) for all disks were published. That tradition seems to have ended about a decade or two ago. The same is true for many other devices, such as CPU chips (look at the chip in the Raspberry Pi as an example of non-public documentation). We can moan about it, but it's a fact. And it is an effect of our litigious and dishonest society; I can fully understand manufacturers who keep their secrets, for their own protection.

I am talking about disks that definitely look different (because one is red, the other green, then purple, blue, etc.), but on the (very sparse) data that is published show no relevant technical differences.
Sorry, but they do have considerable technical differences. Those may not be published though. And if you go drinking beer with the actual people in the disk drive industry (which I do regularly), or you have access to the detailed technical information under NDA (used to do that too) you will hear about all these interesting factoids, and how disk drives are rather complex. Much more so than people can determine from the outside.

(SCSI vs. AT is a relevant difference, ...
Actually, rather on the contrary. In the 90s and early 2000s, many disk drive users used to think that SCSI and IDE disks were fundamentally the same mechanism (same spindle, same platters, same heads, same actuator), just with a different control board slapped on. That may have been true in the 80s, but it was definitely untrue in the late 90s and early 2000s. In those days, SCSI disks were built for and intended for enterprise use, which means 24x7, mounted in enclosures, controlled environments, often better seek times at the expense of more power consumption, and intended for reliability in the face of continuous operation and continuous seeking. That meant they were equipped with extra air internal filters (mostly to absorb lubricant sputtered by the spindle and actuator bearings), different spindle bearings and motors to survive 24x7 rotation, very different actuator and arm mechanics to handle continuous and faster seeks without heat problems, and extra CPU power (usually a second DSP) for servoing while doing IO, to prevent off-track writes while in the presence of vibration from dozens of other drives also madly seeking in the same enclosure. Consumer disks were sold with IDE = ATA interfaces, and were the opposite. They were also much cheaper. Some reckless small systems integrators were trying to build enterprise-class system using (cheap) IDE drives, which usually led to disaster. Uninformed people used to say that the disk vendors are financially raping the big enterprise customers, which is not just nonsense, but paranoid and dumb nonsense: in reality, the enterprise market is much more competitive and has razor-thin margins; if a large customer (back then EMC, HP, IBM or Sun, today Amazon, Facebook, Google or Microsoft) buys a few million drives, they squeeze the last penny out of the disk makers. Whereas the consumers who get their drives from Fry's or Newegg actually pay a huge premium for the convenience of getting individually wrapped disks.

Into this environment, where a lot of users used to think "IDE = cheap version of otherwise identical SCSI = expensive" came Erik and Dave, and wrote that paper to explain to people: no, the two drives are actually radically different. And the real difference is not the interface, but the stuff inside the box.

Now in the meantime, much has changed. Today, you can often get the exact same drive (mechanical assembly) with either a SAS or SATA interface. And often, the only difference between the two is that they populate a different connector (the SAS connector has a different polarizing tab and a few extra contacts), and load different interface firmware. Otherwise the drives may be totally identical. On the other hand, all the vendors sell drives that are actually build radically different, but you can no longer distinguish them by what interface is on them. And the differences have become even larger than what I explained above. Today, drives have much more firmware in them, and their performance characteristics are much more finally tuned to the intended usage. That begins with the way the data is laid out (zoning, cylinder versus platter layout), the sparing and re-location strategies, how multiple queued IOs are handled (optimized for low latency or high throughput). Today different drives of the same nominal RPM and nominal capacity will sometimes have different number of platters, different media, different heads, different lubricants on the platter, and the heads are adjusted for different fly height. Matter-of-fact, the really large customers (over 90% of all disks are sold to a handful customers) tend to special-order firmware versions that are optimized for their wishes: if Seagate or WD sell the model XYZ to IBM, EMC, Microsoft and Amazon, they will probably have different part numbers, customer-specific firmware, and different performance characteristics. Yes, I used to work for some of those disk customers, and occasionally I would get prototype "generic" firmware versions into my lab, and the disks performed differently. And I've been in meetings with people whose badges had words like LSI, Broadcom, Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba, and WD, to discuss exactly these kinds of specific details.

So, as long as nobody comes up with a profound statement about what the technical differences actually are, I just assume there are no significant ones.
You are assuming wrong. Your paranoia is getting the better of you. My only advice is this: Either believe what the disk vendors say (and this particular example is very troubling, in that WD was caught being not truthful about these disks), or buy a few tenthousand disks and have your lawyers negotiate getting the full technical documentation. Simply assuming that everyone is out to get you is not going to be useful.

Any drive is capable running 24/7 if it can run 8 hours. It doesn't get tired and need to relax after 8 hours.
Patently false. A drive that is designed for 8 hours per day 5 days a week may not survive long if you don't let it cool down regularly, or if you run the spindle all the time (lubricant is a consumable). And that's just the relatively simple mechanical aspect. Now add the complexity of modern drives (fly height, platter lubricant, the fact that heads dive down for reading and writing), and drive-internal maintenance operations (garbage collection, validation, rearranging data) which depend on bursty workloads and sparse layouts, and usage patterns heavily interact with the design of the drive.

I only remember trade fairs at the end of the last century where manufacturers showed open drives in continuous seek.
Those were fun. It's even more fun to see a traditional "washing machine" drive (the 60MB top-loaders with exposed head control mechanism) seeking. I think the absolute maximum fun thing is to see a RAMAC in operation; and while I used to work nearly near them (there was one in the lobby of the building that contained my office), I've never actually seen one move. Here is a youtube film:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyWsdS1h-TM
, about halfway through you can see the arm moving (there was only one arm for all 25 platters).

That might be the only point where there actually is a difference between desktop and enterprise models.
Absolutely incorrect. Matter-of-fact, there are even significant differences between different commercial models.

(about laptop drives)
I got those to die in no time. They don't stand my usage patterns..
QED. Doctor, it hurts when I do that. Well, stop doing it.

Actually, rather on the contrary. In the 90s and early 2000s, many disk drive users used to think that SCSI and IDE disks were fundamentally the same mechanism (same spindle, same platters, same heads, same actuator), just with a different control board slapped on. That may have been true in the 80s,

That was probably never true. We all knew that when running a unix box, one would be better off with a SCSI disk. The ATA might even have more throughput in sequential r/w, but behave horribly with multitasking, and the SCSI drive would easily outrun it. It was usually attributed to the fact that the SCSI bus is better, and that the disks need more internal logic to behave as an autonomous unit and can do things like seek optimization on their own, while IDE was just the ST506 controller moved into the disk.

You are assuming wrong. Your paranoia is getting the better of you. My only advice is this: Either believe what the disk vendors say (and this particular example is very troubling, in that WD was caught being not truthful about these disks), or buy a few tenthousand disks and have your lawyers negotiate getting the full technical documentation. Simply assuming that everyone is out to get you is not going to be useful.

This is not about paranoia, it is about useless thinking: if I cannot get the required information for a decision, then there is no point in evaluating.
The disk vendors say nothing useful, and, as we now clearly see, they do that not to "protect" the customer from complicated information, they do that to deceive the customer. We now have proof.
So even if I would have had paranoia, it would now have become a well founded concern.

But my trouble was actually that I have a-typical usecases, and therefore the current marketing scheme based on use-cases can give me no information. (OTOH I know my workloads well, so I could compare them against a techspec, and I am used to do such.)
And finally, as we now see, the conclusion to which I came (buy anything as it is most likely all the same crap, and then see how long it does survive), may lack properly funded arguments and be factual incorrect, but now turns out to be quite practical nevertheless.

And just to be clear: For the drives discussed in the original article (the WD20EFAX and the ST8000DM004), the manufacturers do publish relatively detailed specifications, see for example (I only checked two): https://documents.westerndigital.co...et-western-digital-wd-red-hdd-2879-800002.pdf and https://www.seagate.com/www-content...a-fam/barracuda-new/en-us/docs/100805918d.pdf. While those don't talk about the internals of the drive (like seek speeds and head transfer rates), they do have one important clue to how they are intended to be used: Under the reliability specification, they state clearly that they are to be used at IO rates not exceeding 55 and 180 TB/year (for the two different models). If you divide that out, it comes out to 1.7 and 5.7 MB/sec, which very clearly shows that these drives are not intended to be used at intense workloads (approaching their hardware limits) in a 24x7 fashion. If you look at the high-rate drives (I just peeked at the drive Seagate calls "Ironwolf Pro"), those limits are significantly higher. So it's not true that the manufacturers are hiding the workload intensity information. I'm going to bet that anyone who complains about these drives being SMR internally is exceeding the 1.7 or 5.7 MB/s specification by a large margin.

I obviously haven't been paying attention to spinning rust drives since 2016 when shingled drives started to appear. I guess I was more concerned with SSD drives instead. So about a year ago I bought a Seagate 8TB "expansion" external drive to dedicate to macOS Time Machine backups. The initial dump was fast over USB3 and the drive was quiet. Some time later I noticed the drive was making a fair amount of scratchy noise... when it was not in use! I searched the web but found no reference to this noise. The drive seemed healthy enough, so I ignored it.

Fast forward to a few days ago I noticed the start fo this thread, did some research and realised what was happening. The 8TB drive is a shingled drive. After a backup (often of a FreeBSD VM or two) the drive becomes idle for a time and then starts rewriting data dumped to the 256G PMR zone to the SMR zones. Noise explained.

And just to be clear: For the drives discussed in the original article (the WD20EFAX and the ST8000DM004), the manufacturers do publish relatively detailed specifications

Negative. This is not a detailed techspec, because it is not a techspec at all. This is a paper for decision-makers.

Let me explain: One of the essential things which I need, and which actually every customer needs, is the configuration of the spindown, because this has to be adjusted to the actual workload. And this is nonstandard, it is different on every drive.

The Hitachi coolspin (deskstar) as quoted above has a very tricky way of configuring the spindown (but, kudos,
they have it documented and obtainable): it does actually hide two values in the APM register, and you must write it twice in the proper sequence to get the desired results, e.g.
Code:
camcontrol apm /dev/ada4 -l 162 # unload 5 min.
camcontrol apm /dev/ada4 -l 40  # spindown 10 min.

The Barracuda also has a very strange way of configuring this. I got mine used, and when I got it, it did unload after two seconds. :( I have no idea about the history of that drive, the smart values told something about 100 days operation and 400TB read. I have now found a suitable configuration, but there is no documentation at all about it, even worse, the specs say the drive does not support APM. (APM is something different than the idle timer; both are independent features.)

These, among many others, are the informations I expect in a techspec.

While those don't talk about the internals of the drive (like seek speeds and head transfer rates), they do have one important clue to how they are intended to be used: Under the reliability specification, they state clearly that they are to be used at IO rates not exceeding 55 and 180 TB/year (for the two different models). If you divide that out, it comes out to 1.7 and 5.7 MB/sec, which very clearly shows that these drives are not intended to be used at intense workloads (approaching their hardware limits) in a 24x7 fashion.

This again is not a technical info, it is contractual stuff, info for the decision-makers. it is the same with a car - when you lease a car, there is normally a contractual item that you may drive about 20'000 miles per year, and while this figure indeed has some relation to the intended use of that car model, it does by no means say that the car can do only that.

For a technical info I would need very different metrics, e.g. a duty-cycle, a maximum operation time between power-down, or a maximum operation time at full throughput. But, to my knowledge, such limits did never exist.

Those 180TB/y are well okay; i doubt any non-commercial use will reach that. But then we have situations like resilver, where the drive must operate at full load for a day or two. This is well within the proposed limits, but in this case of the shingled drives, it doesn't work anymore.

And thats the problem with you decision-makers. You're so fed up with that contractual, buerocratic and laywers stuff that you think that's all that is important - and then you have the engineers build things that do not work, like in this case. :(
Engineering is something different, it's an art.

To get some actual numbers (you know, facts) on the table: I have a NAS box using ST4000LM016 drives (ok, one is replaced for a ST4000LM024). The ST4000LM024 is SMR, per https://www.seagate.com/www-content...op-fam/barracuda_25/en-us/docs/100804767e.pdf
The manual for the ST4000LM016 doesn't say anything about SMR or PMR https://www.seagate.com/www-content.../spinpoint-m-series/en-us/docs/100772113c.pdf
latest scrub
Code:
  pool: z6
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 13:56:11 with 0 errors on Sun Apr  5 13:56:12 2020
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    z6                                              ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz3-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/2cae7eee-86ed-11e8-a186-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/2226f441-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/231416ea-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/23fdb526-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/24edb679-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/25d23441-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/26bf7deb-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/27aac2e7-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
the pool is quite full
Code:
tingo@kg-f6$ zpool list z6
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
z6      29T  27.0T  1.99T         -     8%    93%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
and the resilver status from when I replaced a ST4000LM016 with the ST4000LM024.
Code:
tingo@kg-f6$ zpool status z6
pool: z6
state: ONLINE
scan: resilvered 64.2G in 0 days 00:19:34 with 0 errors on Sat Jul 14 00:58:05 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
z6 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz3-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/2cae7eee-86ed-11e8-a186-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/2226f441-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/231416ea-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/23fdb526-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/24edb679-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/25d23441-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/26bf7deb-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/27aac2e7-9579-11e7-9009-7085c239f419 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
So, for a NAS used for backup, this is quite acceptable for my use.
YMMV

the pool is quite full ...
snippet showing 93%
Note that the performance of ZFS resilver gets pretty bad when a pool is very full. I don't remember all the reasons, but the big ones are write amplification due to shared buffers, and write fragmentation (which ZFS is famous for, the price for its very good write performance is on-disk fragmentation). And this is not caused by the underlying disk technology, but I would think that the problem is worse on SMR, since it has a larger penalty for small writes.

STH has just published a benchmark comparing a 4 TB WD Red SMR vs. CMR disk.

The resilvering time on a FreeNAS for the CMR drive was 14.5 hours, and for the SMR drive was 16 time longer at 9.5 days.

Note: This is for ZFS. The results can not be extrapolated to other RAID systems. ZFS does resilvering in a particularly unusual fashion (for details, read the source code, or read the daemon book), which causes the resilvering workload to be dominated by small random writes that are widely scattered all over the disk (the reasons are in the daemon book). That's exactly the workload that SMR will be very bad on. I know there are other RAID systems where the equivalent operation is done as large sequential blocks (one example I know used to write 16 or 64MiB blocks, but in view of SMR disks has changed that to writing 256 MiB blocks, correctly aligned, so each SMR zone is written fully sequentially one at a time).

There is a reason that so many SMR disks are manufactured and sold: they are better by most metrics, in particular the vitally important GiB/$ and MiB/s/$ metrics, when used in a sensible fashion. But you have to remember: individual home users and small business NAS systems are a vanishingly small part of the worldwide disk market. Recently I heard a statistic that over 90% of all disks produced in the world are sold to a handful or dozen companies, namely the typical FAANG set. The real problem here is that WD started shipping a product into an application for which it was only 90% suitable, and the other 10% are now very upset.

In other related news: A law firm is now starting a class action lawsuit WD over the SMR disks they sold as NAS disks. That was to be expected, some lawyers are going to get rich off of this. WD will have to give the lawyers a few million $ to go away. That doesn't help people who have disks that are unacceptably slow in their use case (if they get lucky, they'll get a a $5 coupon for the purchase of a different disk), and it doesn't really hurt WD either (a small lawsuit is not relevant at their scale), but it keeps one segment of the economy going.

Back