Solved Beta test new graphic drivers

Just realized Intel "Skylake" family of GFX chips is too new for the intel driver. Is there a way I could help with testing, to speed up the process?

Just realized Intel "Skylake" family of GFX chips is too new for the intel driver. Is there a way I could help with testing, to speed up the process?
I don't own a Skylake CPU and I cannot test the following, anyway, you might want to try graphics/drm-next-kmod.
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod/ && make install clean

The port description tells:
The experimental drm-next-kmod port can be enabled for amdgpu (for AMD
GPUs starting with the HD7000 series / Tahiti) or i915kms (for Intel
APUs starting with HD3000 / Sandy Bridge) through kld_list in
/etc/rc.conf. radeomkms for older AMD GPUs can be loaded and there are
some positive reports if EFI boot is NOT enabled (similar to amdgpu).

For amdgpu: kld_list="amdgpu"
For Intel: kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
For radeonkms: kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the
"video" group.

Older generations are supported by the stable kms modules (radeonkms /
i915kms) in base.

Skylake and Kabylake CPUs seem to be supported by this driver: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Intel_Graphics

Yeah, fair enough. My actual problem is that I've spend days configuring 11.1-RELEASE. I wouldn't want to have to recompile everything again, I'd rather wait for the driver. I was hoping that there is some backporting with the driver, and I hope it'll be available for 11.1, do you think?

I guess jails are off the table, since I cannot have a 12 jail on a 11 host, right?

I mean, there is no driver, the support for the chip is supposed to be added to the xf86-video-intel, right? So when that happens, it should be available to 11.1, I hope.

This does deserve a new thread, however, at least bother to search before asking. Everything is either 1 degree from where you found it, or on the page you found out about Skylake support.
Pages above already mentioned by commenters in thread.
And there's mailing lists.

You're right. I did check the first link before posting. But never did any testing, only now realized it would be wise...

Yeah, fair enough. My actual problem is that I've spend days configuring 11.1-RELEASE. I wouldn't want to have to recompile everything again, I'd rather wait for the driver. I was hoping that there is some backporting with the driver, and I hope it'll be available for 11.1, do you think?

The respective i915kms driver made it into the base of 12-CURRENT and for 11 an experimental kernel module is available in the ports. Just try to install it from the ports and then test it, didn't you want to do this anyway, did you?

The respective i915kms driver made it into the base of 12-CURRENT and for 11 an experimental kernel module is available in the ports. Just try to install it from the ports and then test it, didn't you want to do this anyway, did you?

Yes, will do that.

Looking at the Makefile, I think that the drm-next-kmod port (and package) are still only supported in CURRENT.
Code:
.if ${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && ${OSVERSION} < 1200045
IGNORE=         not supported on 11.x or older, no kernel support
.endif

I know you don't want to give up on 11.1, but FreeBSD is pretty far behind on Intel support. The wiki is way out of date. I have a page on using it, (CURRENT) with later Intel cards, though my experience is only based on one machine at http://srobb.net/freebsdintel.html

That information is harder to find. The port for that KMS driver says it needs kernel sources, which are in FreeBSD 12 (current).

Edit - It's possible but not likely that information is to change, for the sources needed for those ports being in current as opposed to FreeBSD 11.1.

The respective i915kms driver made it into the base of 12-CURRENT and for 11 an experimental kernel module is available in the ports.
You mean graphics/drm-next-kmod? That's only for 12-CURRENT:
Code:
if ${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && ${OSVERSION} < 1200045
 	IGNORE=         not supported on 11.x or older, no kernel support
.endif

This does deserve a new thread, however, at least bother to search before asking. Everything is either 1 degree from where you found it, or on the page you found out about Skylake support.
Pages above already (also) mentioned by commenters in thread.
And there's mailing lists.

I am on a dozen or so mailing lists, but too technical for me. By the way, what's the official link to the wikis, is it in the menus?

Sorry, I misunderstood the availability in the ports would mean it would work on 11, my fault.
It's on ignore, or something like that in the Freshports description. No need for blame.

Edit - graphics/drm-next-kmod, says it needs kernel sources, but it's intuitive, been mentioned somewhere, or hidden somewhere that those sources are in Current.

EDIT - It's on the graphics wiki, and mentioned above in source, by SirDice

Edit - mailing list mentioned on that wiki

Sorry, I misunderstood the availability in the ports would mean it would work on 11, my fault.
No worries, ports like that are rare and it's not obvious, you really have to read the Makefile to spot it.

In this case, I really think my own page mentioned above is probably the best source right now. It mentions, all in one place, that you need CURRENT and that you need source. Otherwise, you have to go to the wiki, which has a link to Freshports, and so on.

Maybe I am not phrasing this correctly: If I wanted to check any wiki page, how do I get to the wiki pages? Do not answer with link or post referals.
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-17 um 16.01.17.png

Back