• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Other Beginners questions about freebsd and gnome 3

Lightwar

Hello together,

A week ago I started again with FreeBSD 11.1 and Gnome 3 desktop. Now it's really cool, stable and very fast and I think it is maybe usable for computer desktops. After some howtos and Youtube videos I made it run on a free disk in my PC with a NVidia 1050Ti.

I installed Gnome3 as desktop with chromium etc. with pkg, now I have some questions:
I noticed that in the stable 11.1 version the gnome version are 3.22. Is it possible to update it to 3.24? I read that the development version are 3.26 but I think it will be not stable enough.
Somebody got a howto or more infos how to upgrade the gnome version?

Thanks in advance for the answers,

Lightwar

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Best answers: 6

All versions of FreeBSD use the same ports tree and thus have the same versions available. There's only a difference in defaults, -RELEASE versions use the quarterly packages and -STABLE uses the latest packages by default. But all systems can be switched if so desired.

If you want to switch to the latest packages, simply create a file called /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with this content:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}
I noticed that in the stable 11.1 version the gnome version are 3.22. Is it possible to update it to 3.24?
I'm not sure where you got these versions from, x11/gnome3 is at 3.18 at this time.