Beginners Guide - How To Set Up A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch

teo

Open /etc/aliases and set the root mailbox address to:
Code:
root: username@machinename
and run the newaliases command. Your daily messages will then be available to read as root in the /var/mail directory.

Finally, open /etc/rc.conf in leafpad and add the following entries to what's already there:
Code:
mouse_type="auto"
ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-b adaptive -a hiadaptive"
sendmail_enable="NO"
fsck_y_enable="YES"
swapexd_enable="YES"
mixer_enable="YES"
snddetect_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-c -ss"
linux_enable="YES"
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
clean_tmp_X="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
This will allow you to receive security updates via sendmail as root, enable Linux emulation for any programs you might install that need it, clear tmp files, etc. (It looks like sendmail is disabled but that takes the NONE variable.) Reboot one final time to ensure the file changes you've made go into affect.

Hello Trihexagonal, with respect to Sendmail, it is advisable to disable (NO) in the /etc/rc.conf configuration file after modifying the /etc/aliases file? Or remain by default NONE in the /etc/rc.conf file ?

example:

# ee /etc/rc.conf
Code:
sendmail_enable="NONE"
Or:

# ee /etc/rc.conf
Code:
sendmail_enable="NO"

OP
OP
Trihexagonal

Trihexagonal

Daemon

Hello Trihexagonal, with respect to Sendmail, it is advisable to disable (NO) in the /etc/rc.conf configuration file after modifying the /etc/aliases file? Or remain by default NONE in the /etc/rc.conf file ?
If you want to be able to continue receiving your local daily mail reports it needs to be left as I have outlined it in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
sendmail_enable="NO"
The "NONE" variable is what turns it off completely.

To only disable Sendmail's incoming mail service, use only this entry in /etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NO"

teo

If you want to be able to continue receiving your local daily mail reports it needs to be left as I have outlined it in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
sendmail_enable="NO"
The "NONE" variable is what turns it off completely.
Very kind, with your generosity helps to solve the difficulties. 🙂

OP
OP
Trihexagonal

Trihexagonal

Daemon

BTW, I block TCP port 25 with pf, still get my daily mail as root and did recently as today.

Running sockstat -l4 shows it listening on that port:

Code:
root     sendmail   12345 3  tcp4   127.0.0.1:25          *:*

rube2112

ok....this kind of tutorial ticks me off....why? because none of the disks I've tried even have the option to install......that makes it worthless for me

rube2112

ok someone deleted my comment. You don't think its important to specify which download is the one used in this tutorial? Am I supposed to guess? None of the images I've downloaded even have the option to install start as single user, multi user etc....no install option.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Settle down rube2112 . Nothing was deleted, your posts were held for moderation (as they do for every new member).

I strongly suggest you start reading the handbook regarding the installation of FreeBSD: Chapter 2. Installing FreeBSD.
I also suggest you actually read the announcement as it includes details which download you should use.

You should also read the release notes and errata:

If you came here expecting to be spoon fed, then I have some bad news for you. We don't do that. Nobody learns anything from blindly typing in a bunch of commands. We expect you to be smart enough to actually read the documentation and figure things out on your own. If you have any specific questions regarding the documentation or if the documentation is unclear you're free to ask.

If you want something that installs a nice desktop out-of-the-box I suggest you go have a look at TrueOS.

hukadan

If you want something that installs a nice desktop out-of-the-box I suggest you go have a look at TrueOS.
I am not sure this is still the case. According to this blog post "We know that some of you will still be looking for an out-of-the-box solution similar to legacy PC-BSD and TrueOS. We’re happy to announce that Project Trident will take over graphical FreeBSD development going forward."

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I wasn't aware of that. I'll keep that in mind the next time :D

rube2112

I read the article on which image to use, which is the one I have......I hate to break it to you, but there is no option to install.

rube2112

The information is, the tutorial says put in your boot disk and select the install option. There is no install option. It says single user, multi user. A few other options, none of which are install. And I disagree with the statement above about being "spoon fed" I'm pretty good with linux. The key thing that many developers have had to be taught over and over, are that most people don't want to become experts on how to set something up. They just want to use operating system so they can then make a determination about whether or not its something they'd like to use. I've never been able to get freebsd to run on anything. Last attempt was about 5 years ago. I got pretty good at linux, not by trying to figure out how to set it up, but by someone finally creating disks that would actually help you set it up. Using the OS is what made me a better user.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The information is, the tutorial says put in your boot disk and select the install option. There is no install option. It says single user, multi user. A few other options, none of which are install.
You're looking at the loader menu. Sit back and wait. Or hit enter if you don't want to wait 10 seconds.

OP
OP
Trihexagonal

Trihexagonal

Daemon

ok....this kind of tutorial ticks me off....why? because none of the disks I've tried even have the option to install......that makes it worthless for me
FreeBSD RELEASE is the only version supported here.

I have a Thinkpad T61 sitting next to me I finished building FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE on last night using the FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso with all my programs compiled waiting for when I have time to boot to the desktop and proceed from there.