Beginners Guide - How To Set Up A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch

this thread of yours seems to have attracted a lot of attention here on the forum, it should remain to help other members with difficulty.

I used an earlier version of this How To some time ago to successfully install a MATE desktop on a FreeBSD 12-RELEASE and subsequently upgraded that to a FreeBSD 13 version. Then, although I cannot now remember what happened in detail, my entire computer "took a hike" and I had to replace the motherboard. In the process, my FreeBSD install also went away.

Several months to a year later, i.e. last week (after undergoing some severe health issues this past summer), I decided to try to rebuild a FreeBSD-14-RELEASE desktop, using MATE. After a couple of hours of work. that installation failed. PORTMASTER couldn't finish the installation of XORG. I **think*** the FreeBSD install somehow resulted in the system paths being corrupted. Anyway, I'll try it again, but using an earlier version of FreeBSD just in case there is a problem with Ver 14-RELEASE.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ken Gordon

For one thing, PORTSNAP did not appear to install when I installed the OPSYS: I had to do PKG INSTALL PORTSNAP in order to get it.

Ken Gordon

OK. I spent a good amount of time yesterday installing FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-P(something) on this computer's second HDD, then followed the HOW TO here. This time, installation of XORG completed without any errors.

BUT, when I built the .xinitrc in my home directory, then after rebooting, did startx, I got file not found, or in other words "What?'. So, am I still stuck.

I am going to complete the installation of the Nvidia drivers, etc., but I still think there is something wrong with the path.

Anyone have any ideas?

What is bugging me is that the last time I did this, I had no issues whatever. Everything just worked, so something has changed, but I cannot figure out what.

Ken Gordon

For one thing, PORTSNAP did not appear to install when I installed the OPSYS: I had to do PKG INSTALL PORTSNAP in order to get it.
portsnap(8) is removed from the base with 14.0. You are advised to investigate alternative ways to fetch a ports tree, the infrastructure needed for portsnap(8) will get removed in the future too. For now you can indeed install the port/package: ports-mgmt/portsnap.

On occasion when startx doesn't work (though the symtoms are usually more of it taking a long time), it can be that it can't find your hostname. Part of the startx script includes running hostname -f.

Does just running xint work? If so, that may be the problem. That can be fixed by changing your /etc/hosts file or just adding your system's host name to /etc/hosts. However, as I said, the more typical sign of that being a problem is X taking a lonnnng time to start.

Also, looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log might give some clues. Search for lines containing [EE]. Then there's the obvious. Does your ~/.xinitrc have a line to start your particular desktop or window manager?

Anyone have any ideas?

Gentle hint:
  • start a new topic for your issue
  • when it concludes, you can bring a summary here.
(With the moderation that's required in this topic: it's impossible to know, before posting, whether I'm duplicating effort with someone else expressing the same idea.)

Postscript: found (thanks),

Last edited:
Back