Beginner C++ error

I am new to C++, and am running into an error that seems rather simple to fix but am lacking an understanding of how to do so. I want to assign the value that string.length() returns to a variable so I thought I would use something like 'size_t' However from what I have read it looks like you need to use a typedef to do so properly. I tried 'typdef unsigned int size_t' but that did not work. I then tried a few variations to no avail. I have been using this link as a reference but do not understand their typedef in the slightest. http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/length/Does anyone know how to do what I am trying to do??

Thanks expl that worked... however I was hesitant to use that in the first place because I wanted to do it the 'CPP' way and I thought based on that name it was something from C. Is that true? Or is also true that all original C include files all end with '.h'? I just assumed that cstring was from legacy C include files. As I said...just starting out. I apologize for the noob-like questions.

The c prefixed includes of standard c-headers e.g. "cstdio" were made as forwarding
headers for c++ to include standard c-functions, defines, datatypes that are in c++'s
default namespace std (please correct me if I'm wrong)!

And yes, if you want to use things like std::size_t and others (and it's good that you want to use them), you'll have to use the "C legacy" <csomething> headers.

Oh ok, well that is good, I am happy that it was indeed a simple fix. So to clarify 'size_t' in C++ is the same as it was in C but 'updated' or whatever to be fully compatible. And it is also the proper way to do what I am doing? I just want to make sure it is proper, based on what Oxyd said it seems to be so at least.

Back