Because FreeBSD was delayed in time past and not spread to the Graphical Desktop?

Greetings to the community of FreeBSD and all!

The constructive debate and understand the reasons of FreeBSD because continues with the technique of the old methodology, and I do not get to extend to graphical desktop for the end user. In the currently, not exist a complete system-standard ready for used on servers or in a graphical desktop without the inserted hand of the user following the instructions of the Handbook of FreeBSD.

If I understand your question right, you're asking why there still isn't that one package that gives you a fully configured and ready-to-use qraphical environment?

I think that would be impossible without taking away the freedom of choice from the user. As there are so many possible choices to make...

How do you want to log in to your graphical environment? Text based or from a graphical login-manager? If you prefer a graphical login, which login-manager?
What graphical environment do you whant? What windowmanager, which decorations, with with or without additinal software....
The list is almost endless and that's one big point of using FreeBSD and it applies to every part it.... you choose yourself! :)

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't usually 3-4 current threads on the same topic.

I read these endless, pointless opinion threads that mean nothing and solve nothing as .....
It makes sense because nowadays we are in the XXI century and we are not in the XX century that was the first steps of the old methodology.

Greetings to the community of FreeBSD and all!

The constructive debate and understand the reasons of FreeBSD because continues with the technique of the old methodology, and I do not get to extend to graphical desktop for the end user. In the currently, not exist a complete system-standard ready for used on servers or in a graphical desktop without the inserted hand of the user following the instructions of the Handbook of FreeBSD.
From DOS, OS/2, Linux and FreeBSD from version 6 and I am using FreeBSD as a desktop and I have FreeBSD installed on iMac (2009) and it works. I am using FluxBox, GNOME3 and I use to used KDE and I use also CDE...graphics card is Radeon. I am not computer educated and I didn't have a problem with the installation.

Install GhostBSD, that's what you want, comes in 2 flavors: MATE and XFCE.
Finish the installation, pull the cd out, reboot, and away you go ....
It's FreeBSD with some refinements by default. Perfect for you ...
www.ghostbsd.org

I do not get to extend to graphical desktop for the end user
That is on purpose. In the XXI century, that is how this particular operating system is supposed to be. If you don't like that, then I suggest you chose another operating system - or fork this one.

OJ said:
If you don't like that, then I suggest you chose another operating system - or fork this one.
If I quite like FreeBSD, but we have lives, and don't have of much time to be sitting hours and hours putting together a complete system for the use of the day-to-day. Hopefully that will extend FreeBSD for the use graphical desktop by default, are 20-year history of FreeBSD, the derivative of FreeBSD are in project for service desktop graphic.

If I quite like FreeBSD, but we have lives, and don't have of much time to be sitting hours and hours putting together a complete system for the use of the day-to-day. Hopefully that will extend FreeBSD for the use graphical desktop by default, are 20-year history of FreeBSD, the derivative of FreeBSD are in project for service desktop graphic.

There is already GhostBSD and TrueOS which come with a GUI included in the installation.

and don't have of much time to be sitting hours and hours putting together a complete system for the use of the day-to-day.
Then you must be doing something wrong because it takes me a little over 10 minutes to set it up. And most of this time is taken up waiting for the packages to download and install.

Hopefully that will extend FreeBSD for the use graphical desktop by default
Not going to happen. There are plenty of FreeBSD derivatives that provide a fully installed desktop out of the box. Besides that even if there was an option, not everybody likes Gnome, or KDE, or XFCE, or whatever. So there's no 'common' ground here. It's all available if you want it any way, so why force something?

Hours and hours? It takes me about 15 minutes to install the GUI, but that's probably due to the really old optical drive I'm pulling packages from. Not that many years ago, FreeBSD had an X windows option in the installer. I guess they didn't want to support it anymore, and dropped it. So, make yourself a little script to pull the packages from media, install them, copy the xorg.conf, loader.conf, rc.conf, xinitrc, etc files to your disk, and have a coffee for the ten or fifteen minutes it takes.

It's just not a big deal.

FreeBSD had an X windows option in the installer.
Yeah, I remember that. Tried using it a couple of times. Never quite worked out. It was easier to just install a basic OS and install it afterwards. Doing it afterwards gave you more control and was generally easier to figure out where it went wrong if it blew up.

Back