Backup with TAR or LTFS on LTO tapes

Mussolini

Hi all,

Is there someone here using LTO tapes as a backup solution on FreeBSD systems ? If so, which format is recommended ? No problem on making tar tapes on FreeBSD like on Linux systems ?
What about LTFS, anybody have some information on implementing Linear Tape File System on FreeBSD ?

Thanks in advance..

vermaden

Son of Beastie

@Mussolini

I use tar(1) with LTO3 drive/tapes on FreeBSD, works as desired. You can try bigger tar(1) --block-size option such as 8192, for better transfer rate.

As described be, FreeBSD (as usual) is not one of the supported platforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape_File_System

Maybe the FreeBSD Foundation could do something about it.

OP
OP
M

Mussolini

Hello Vermaden, thanks for your reply.
Good to know that tar works fine and I asked about the LTFS just to be sure. I really would like to get this working on FreeBSD systems. This is really the default future of LTO tapes.

Thank you!

vermaden

Son of Beastie

Mussolini said:
Good to know that tar works fine and I asked about the LTFS just to be sure. I really would like to get this working on FreeBSD systems. This is really the default future of LTO tapes.
The LTFS is only useful on LTO5 and LTO6 (and possibly later models) as LTO4 and earlier specifications does not support partitioning, which is required by LTFS.

beppo

It's an older thread but it seems that ltfs is still unsuported by FreeBSD. At least I did not find any information regarding LTFS under FreeBSD. Is this correct?

Thanks a lot!