Backup to tape-station

Hi,

I just go a Sony SDX-560V tape-station from work that we don't use anymore so I thought that I would put it in my FreeBSD server at home! Until now I have only done backups manually by copying the files that I really needed to save, like configurations and such, so I have never used a tape-station to do backups before.

I was just wondering what kind of software you would recommend using if I'm just gonna do some simple backups on some folders like /var/www, /usr/local/etc and occasionally a full system backup!?

I'm currently running 7.2 but thinking about upgrading to 8.0 soon if I have the time.

Thanks,
Patric

k1piee said:
I was just wondering what kind of software you would recommend using if I'm just gonna do some simple backups on some folders like /var/www, /usr/local/etc and occasionally a full system backup!?
Guess what the original use of tar(1) is ;)

SirDice said:
Guess what the original use of tar(1) is ;)

Thats true :p but I was more looking for something that's easier to administrate, so I can see whats been backedup and see what tape was used and so on. I've read a little bit about Amanda. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Patric

mdhughes said:
I use Backula with my tape library, but it works just as good for a single drive.

Bacula looks really good, I will look in to that and see if it fits my needs!
The web-interface can come in handy too:)
I haven't heard about Bacula before, so thanks!:)

Back