[B2B] The Linux LTS kernel will go from 6 to 2 years of support

From what I read so far, the main reason Linux introduced the 6-year support for LTS versions was Android, because manufacturers modify the kernel for their devices and can't be bothered to maintain these modifications across versions. Well then, I'd really say, screw that. If a) you absolutely need to modify the kernel and b) you can't (be bothered to?) get these changes in a shape that could be upstreamed, then the pain to maintain that is rightfully on you. Of course, in reality in "Android world", many manufacturers will instead put the pain on the customer, having their device run an unsupported kernel, but that's yet a different story.

So, Android aside, I think it's the only sane decision here, maintaining several exact versions in parallel, each for 6 years, creates a lot of work without any benefit for the project.

I still think FreeBSD found the best way to deal with that: Support each "ABI version" for at least 5 years, so minor updates are very unlikely to ever break anything, therefore it's fair game to expect admins to apply them to productive systems regularly. That's a really nice compromise avoiding the huge maintenance burden of an LTS model, but still providing most of the benefit for admins.

And here's what I'm missing so far: What's the impact for Linux? There's always the claim to "never break userspace", still it (rarely) happens. And the in-kernel APIs change all the time anyways, IIRC Linux doesn't even want to support a stable API/ABI there. So my guess would be: There's no thought at all into that direction. After two years, you'll have to upgrade your kernel and "anything could happen".

The LTS kernels were always more about serving the needs of the enterprise Linux sector. The problem I always had with Debian, was that a particular release would go out with an LTS kernel and though that kernel gets security patches, any problems and/or driver bugs it releases with remain. It's why I more often than not had to build and maintain my own stable kernel to get some particular hardware to work or get around some bug which had long since been fixed.

The LTS kernels were always more about serving the needs of the enterprise Linux sector. The problem I always had with Debian, was that a particular release would go out with an LTS kernel and though that kernel gets security patches, any problems and/or driver bugs it releases with remain. It's why I more often than not had to build and maintain my own stable kernel to get some particular hardware to work or get around some bug which had long since been fixed.
I think the way RedHat did things with CentOS was even worse. A version would ship with a specific version of the kernel; security and bug fixes would get back ported but they would never bump kernel version so you wind up with "kernel 2.4 that has portions of it that are 3.x and other portions 4.x".

I've never had good fortune with Debian packaged kernels. First thing I do after install is download the latest stable source from kernel.org and build it from there, otherwise building and installing kernel modules, such as vboxdrv.ko or the binary NVIDIA drivers, just seems to be a total ballache.

And here's what I'm missing so far: What's the impact for Linux? There's always the claim to "never break userspace", still it (rarely) happens. And the in-kernel APIs change all the time anyways, IIRC Linux doesn't even want to support a stable API/ABI there. So my guess would be: There's no thought at all into that direction. After two years, you'll have to upgrade your kernel and "anything could happen".

I don't know why they bother given that libc or dynamic linker changes sometimes break binaries that the kernel didn't break.

I never had any problem with the default Debian kernels.
[I don't use virtualbox & i use the nvidia drivers from nvidia website ]

[I don't use virtualbox & i use the nvidia drivers from nvidia website ]
These things usually don't affect the "average Linux desktop consumers". It's a much bigger problem for embedded development where you take the Linux kernel and build everything around it yourself.

Like jbo said, I don't think this will have much effect on the average daily driver of Linux, moreso embedded development and other use cases. But it is interesting to see.

Back