automount SD card w/o installing automount, yes/no?

Automount SD Card
I got my system setup like this one did to get his working, but install auto mount.

why?

because everything is already auto mounting without fuse in media, meaning my linux side and USB Port external hdds, so I am hoping there is a way to get this to mount my SD Card that is ext4 without installing fuse or automount pkg.

add the drive to /etc/fstab

During the boot process (Chapter 12, The FreeBSD Booting Process), file systems listed in /etc/fstab are automatically mounted except for the entries containing noauto.

You can mount your ext4 in FreeBSD but it wacks out the ext4 journal. Read-Only mode works OK.
That or turn off ext4 journaling on Linux beforehand.
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
I am not sure how wise this is on a SD Card.

You can mount your ext4 in FreeBSD but it wacks out the ext4 journal. Read-Only mode works OK.
That or turn off ext4 journaling on Linux beforehand.
Hum,, write up says v12 is r/w for ext2fs's do I need to read deeper, as I've thus far have not seen anything bad yet, though I am not looking to see if anything bad happens, and mostly just used a external ext4 via USB in FreeBSD.

it works ok..

though it has nothing to do with automounting the SD Card 'slot' that's on this laptop.

Well ext2 had no journal
ext3 had journal
ext4 has journal
Turn off journal and it works. Use quality SD card and your probably OK.

There are so many ways to automount that it makes me dizzy.
If you use a graphical desktop you can simply turn on HAL in /etc/rc.conf and the gvfs drives show up on your desktop.
It is a feature I loathe. Perhaps the whole topic except maybe NFS shares in fstab. That is my automount.
With shell history no mount is more than 4 or 5 keyboard clicks away.

There are so many ways to automount that it makes me dizzy.
If you use a graphical desktop you can simply turn on HAL in /etc/rc.conf and the gvfs drives show up on your desktop.
It is a feature I loathe. Perhaps the whole topic except maybe NFS shares in fstab. That is my automount.
With shell history no mount is more than 4 or 5 keyboard clicks away.
I was speacking generally on xet2fs's meaning the family of ext2 3 4 as I read it being referenced to ext2fs . and yes, it too makes me dizzy on how many different ways freebsd automounts that is why I inquired on it.

Back