(auto)ZFS on root: how do I label the ZFS partition?

I have been running FreeBSD (using UFS on root) off a USB3 stick connected to the USB3 port of my AMD A85-based motherboard. I had an initial problem where the device names would change after installation (was installing from another USB stick). This caused the fstab not finding the partitions. but I fixed this by using labels (http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html).

Any ideas on how to do this on ZFS on root? Thanks

You don't label filesystems in zfs. Instead, you label the devices/partitions that you will be adding to the zfs pool. And zfs does the rest.

You don't label filesystems in zfs. Instead, you label the devices/partitions that you will be adding to the zfs pool. And zfs does the rest.
The way I read you're reply it's seems I cannot use auto ZFS if I want to use labels? Correct? Thanks again

The way I read you're reply it's seems I cannot use auto ZFS if I want to use labels? Correct? Thanks again

To be honest, I don't know. I've never done an "auto partition" setup ever, on any system, on any OS, regardless of the filesystem. :) It's always been manual partitioning, whether it's DOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.

And, for ZFS-based systems, I've tended to do it from the shell in the installer, as I've been running ZFS-on-root from before the installer had support for it (or I've upgraded/migrated systems from root-on-UFS-on-USB to root-on-ZFS). Mainly because I like to use labels everywhere, from UFS labels, to GEOM-based labels (glabel), to GPT-based labels. :)

Back