Auto mounting card reader

Hello FreeBSD users!

I am running FreeBSD on a Dell XPS M1530 and XFCE can detect, mount USB storage devices and display their icons on the desktop just fine, however it can not mount my integrated card reader when I insert a card. How do I fix this? I should also add that I have loaded all the necessary modules and can mount the card reader manually through the mount(8) command.

Thank you in advance.

The card reader shows up as a device like /dev/da0 regardless of whether there's a card in it, and nothing is polling it to check for new cards. The low-tech way is to force a re-read by writing to the device, or at least opening it for a write.
# true > /dev/da0
which looks wrong, but isn't. true(1) doesn't produce any output, so nothing is actually written to the card, but the GEOM system "retastes" it.

But new devices are appearing in /dev/ when I insert a card. They're called /dev/mmcsd0 and /dev/mmcsd0s1. Is there something in xfce that I can set to poll for these devices?

What version of xfce? 4.6 still uses HAL. 4.8 does not, and there's no easy substitute in FreeBSD.

Back