Auto control CPU freq based on Temperature in order not to shut down ?

Hello FreeBSD forum,
I am running FreeBSD 12.1 on old lenovo laptop T510, Intel Core i5 M 520, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD - ZFS.

And facing an issue with CPU overheat and automatic shutdown during big load (e.g. ffmpeg processing video - CRITICAL temperature reached shutting down ....). What I noticed that system boosts frequency to max and keeps there no matter what. I know that powerd can utilize frequency control based on load, is it possible to control also based on temperature? Or do I have to automate myself measuring via sysctl dev.cpu.0.temperature and controlling via sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq? Or please could You navigate me to other better solution?

I noticed that Windows 10 has some dummy control that basically lowers CPU freq by half in this (high load - high temperature) situation and then thottle up again and again (like PWM modulation). I would expect some linear control instead.

Cooling system is clean and thermal grease replaced.

Thank You.

My solution for a 2011 Mac mini was to use powerd to disable the Intel i7 turbo mode altogether with "-M 2700" for 2.7GHz" which is its base frequency - turbo mode is 2701.

I don't have overheating problems on my Thinkpad T430 (CPU i7 3712QM-35 Watts) but since I'm using ports sometimes the temperatures are getting higher, like 85-90 C on cores and 95-100 C on threads. To lower temps a bit I've limited the cpu to the base freqvencies (2100 MHz) and I'm boosting fan speed with the help of acpi_ibm. More precisely I have a script which is controlling the fan speed.

The fan is supposed to cool down the cpu. If you are lucky, you can google some scripts that control fan speed (fan control).
A script that throttles down the cpu based on the cpu temperature, you'd have to write it on your on. powerd does not care about temperatures.

Back