Solved Audio levels low since upgrading to 13.0-RELEASE

VucanRidr

I am running KDE on my desktop, and noticed after upgrading to 13.0-RELEASE, that my sound levels are much lower than they were on FreeBSD 12. I used to keep my speakers at about 50%, and managed the volume using the kmix mixer app in the system tray. The sound card is a Realtek ALC1150. Now, everything is maxed out, and I can barely hear. The input levels are actually low, since I can hear a hiss in my wireless headphones whch tells me that the input levels are low. There have been no hardware changes, and software-wise, freebsd-updated to 13.0-RELEASE, and done pkg upgrades to stay current (on the "latest" repository).

Has anyone else seen this and know of a fix?

Thanks,
--vr

jb_fvwm2

Daemon

Not on v13 yet, but cli players make mp3 and wav sound way higher pitched. Vs a browser. Unsure when it started. [ I posted this as solved here in
this thread and in the thread I made, but it really isn't. I have to compile
a kernel omitting the sound drivers to do any more testing.
mplayer fixes the CLI audacious, mp3blaster, wavplay problem I just found out.

OP
V

VucanRidr

This seems to be across the board...browser, amarok, even mplayer and mpg123. My speakers are maxed out, as is kmix, which should be blowing me out of the room.
And I have not seen any pitch problems in my case.

OP
V

VucanRidr

Thank you, Alain. It turns out the mixer was set to 45. Bumped it up, and everything is working. Does the change get automatically get saved? I didn't see anything in the man page about saving.

Alain De Vos

Daemon

You can set the volume and issue.
Code:
service mixer onestop
service mixer onestart
But it seems desktop environments reset the mixer volumes independend of this.