Audio and video issues after pkg upgrade

I am having a couple of problems on my FreeBSD 13.2p2 desktop machine. It is running KDE Plasma, and the GPU is an nVidia RTX3060Ti. I did a pkg update and pkg upgrade on 09/02/23, and everything completed successfully.

The first thing I noticed was that volume on audio was far lower than it was with my previous boot environment. I went back to the BE I made immediately before doing the upgrade, just to verify. The sound card is a RealTek ALC-1150 on the motherboard (Asus X-99E), and I normally the volume at 50%, and at that volume, I have to crank down the volume on a youtube video down to 25-33% in order to not blow my hair back like in the old Maxell commercials. On this BE, however, with the master volume at 50% and youtube the same youtube video maxed out, it is barely audible. In order to get a comfortable volume level, I have to turn the master volume up to about 80-90% and youtube has to be maxed out.

So I decided to log out and back in to see if the volume would reset. When I logged out of Plasma, instead of the PCDM login screen, my monitor popped up a "No Signal" and then blanked. I ssh'ed in and rebooted. When this occurred on this BE, I saw the following in the logs and at dmesg:

Code:
Sep  4 18:58:14 defiant kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffff:1426)
Sep  4 18:58:14 defiant kernel: nvidia0: NVRM: rm_init_adapter() failed!

I booted into the BE I spun before the upgrade, and volume was behaving as normal, PCDM started back up on logout, and no nvidia0 messages in the logs or dmesg.

Is this a new wrinkle in something that got upgraded or is there another issue that I am looking at?

Thanks,
--vr

The first thing I noticed was that volume on audio was far lower than it was with my previous boot environment. I went back to the BE I made immediately before doing the upgrade, just to verify.
The driver for the audio card is included with the base OS. In other words, it's not touched when you upgrade the packages.

Try reinstalling the nvidia driver: pkg install -f nvidia-driver
I sometimes have issues with nvidia after a package upgrade and need to do this to get it working again.

Back