Ati RV250+Xorg=blackscreen

Hello, I am new with FreeBSD and the first thing that I try is to install X.Org. It's a freshly installed FreeBSD 10.0 i386. I added
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
to rc.conf, then did Xorg -configure. I start X.Org with Xorg -config Xorg.conf.new -retro. The only thing I get is a black screen and I can't go back to the terminal. (Login with SSH is still working.) X.Org with the VESA driver works. I tested this laptop with a current Ubuntu and the Radeon driver works well with Linux on this laptop.

I hope that I attached all needed logfiles and that somebody can help me ;)

Thanks.

pciconf: http://pastebin.com/fQFrsFBp

ati_xorg_log: http://pastebin.com/RK9yydqV

Xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/WXQhZ90x

The only thing I get is a black screen and I can't go back to the terminal. (login with SSH is still working).
You need to enable the vt(4) console driver to be able to switch back to the console. Unfortunately, 10.0 does not have support for it. It is available on 10.1.

Xorg is trying to load radeonkms modules per your card.

This causes many strange things when vt(4) has not been compiled into kernel. That's also the reason there are so many X.Org "black screen", or "resolution reset" problems.
  • The New X.Org looks for radeonkms drivers unless otherwise specified in xorg.conf.
  • radeonkms means (in a convoluted manner) that [man-4]vt[/man] should be enabled. If you don't have vt, you are most likely going to have problems with Xorg.
Snakekick: This rant is for all future xorg-radeon answer linking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks, but how can I fix this? I tried 10.1 RC4 and 11-CURRENT with the same result. Or how can I disable the KMS driver, any blacklist files? The problem is not only the black console, the X screen is black too.

In 10.1, enter this in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
kern.vty=vt
Then reboot. Do not load any KMS modules in that file, let them autoload.

vt(4) provides console compatibility with KMS drivers, so after X quits, the console is visible.

There is something fishy here, but I don't know how to resolve it. What's in your Monitor0 section of xorg.conf.new? Have yout tried starting Xorg without a configuration file?
Code:
[  130.636] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using monitor section Monitor0
[  130.638] (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 has no monitor section
[  130.644] (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video has no monitor section
[  130.650] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output VGA-0
[  130.661] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output DVI-0
[  130.667] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output S-video
[  130.667] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 disconnected
[  130.667] (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 disconnected
[  130.667] (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
[  130.667] (WW) RADEON(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
[  130.668] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 disconnected
[  130.668] (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 disconnected
[  130.668] (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
[  130.668] (WW) RADEON(0): Unable to find connected outputs - setting 1024x768 initial framebuffer

Ah, sorry, I had not seen we were in the Mobile Computing forum. I have no experience with laptop screens and X.Org.

What is the exact make and model of the computer? The only thing too old for FreeBSD is a 386. Internal monitors often show up as LVDS.

My recommendation: build X.Org from ports and delete or rename any copies of xorg.conf so X will auto-configure.

Hello wblock@

What is the benefit of building X.Org from ports when I do not change my make.conf? I use the xorg.conf that is generated by Xorg when I start it with Xorg -configure. The result is the same with or without xorg.conf.

Building ports on the target machine means there is no mismatch between the build and run environments. Those ports are custom-made on that machine, for that machine, using the libraries and files that are present rather than just assumed.

xorg.conf can be a source of problems, and is usually not needed anyway.

AGP support was added recently, but I did not pay attention to whether it has been backported to 10-STABLE. I'm not sure that built-in card requires AGP support, either.

Ok, the conclusion of one week trial an error and help from this forum: I must say FreeBSD from 2014 can't work with a technology from 1997 (AGP) because it's too new? ;)

Okay, okay, the next version maybe can do this. Sorry but this is a little bit funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back