Other At least 20 years...

of using WindowMaker as my primary desktop. Well a thread the other day/week talked about "awesome", so I poked around at the website and other stuff and decided to give it a try.
Well about a week of using it, took a couple days to get the configuration where I wanted (trying to search was fun), it's not bad. Definitely low memory footprint, seems fast enough, so far seems to be a good alternative.

I'll let you know in another 20 yrs

:)

Started off with WindowMaker many years ago too. Then Gnome (1.x back then). Followed by Gnome 2. I did like Gnome 1 and 2 but got fed up with the direction Gnome was going (even before Gnome 3). Made a few sidesteps with XFCE and MATE. But eventually landed on awesome via i3.

I resumed an old netbook (but with OpenBSD) and I am using Window Maker, I am pretty happy and the low resolution fits well with WM which belongs to the 90's...

Reactions: drr
I am pretty happy and the low resolution fits well with WM which belongs to the 90's...
I agree with the "pretty happy" but not so much with the "belongs to the 90s".
I stuck with WindowMaker because it worked the way I wanted it to, it was simple and didn't get in my way. The fact that it was NeXt-ish was a bonus. It's my gold standard of what a Window Manager should be/do. I admit bias against "Desktop Environments".

Thanks for all the opinions/observations.

Are you willing to share some screenshots? Are you using vanilla or with some tweaks?
Let me get some screen shots, but vanilla with a couple of tweaks.
The default colors on things are good for my eyes, I tweak fonts a bit and sizes (monitor is 2560x1440)

I have to NOTE:
I like simple, I like solid backgrounds. I have flashing spinning "look at me" decorations. Old eyes, I find a lot of new stuff annoying.

The tweaks are mostly my preferences: I clamp layouts to just floating, don't have the layout cycling tool at right hand side, title bar only has minimize and close. And my background is for ease of use on my eyes "xsetroot -solid #353535". I just need to find the hook to disable "mouse wheel on background scrolls workspaces"
I've attached my rc.lua and theme.lua (you need to change the extension from txt to lua) if you're interested.

Oh, I've also added my top 5 or 10 applications to the menu when you right click on the root window.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 181
  • rc.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 110
  • theme.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 98
Started off with WindowMaker many years ago too. Then Gnome (1.x back then). Followed by Gnome 2. I did like Gnome 1 and 2 but got fed up with the direction Gnome was going (even before Gnome 3). Made a few sidesteps with XFCE and MATE. But eventually landed on awesome via i3.
I've looked a bit at i3, just never got comfortable. This thread is mostly about me realizing I've used the same WM for a long time, even trying others (I always give a month), I kept coming back to WindowMaker. It seems to come down to "DE" vs "WM" and every DE is like an "IDE vs vi" too bloated, too much stuff I don't want.

I agree with the "pretty happy" but not so much with the "belongs to the 90s".
I stuck with WindowMaker because it worked the way I wanted it to, it was simple and didn't get in my way. The fact that it was NeXt-ish was a bonus. It's my gold standard of what a Window Manager should be/do. I admit bias against "Desktop Environments".

Thanks for all the opinions/observations.

I see... I haven't unleashed yet its inner power but so far it works well although sometimes looks to me a bit convoluted (I am big XFCE fan).

So far what is annoying me the most is the theming topic, is complicated making WM/(gnu)NextStep UI, GTK2 and GTK3 live pacifically among them...

I am following this guy to try fixing some of the aforementioned:

mer what are you using as panel ?
On what? On awesome I'm just using the stock wibox across the top. My WindowMaker config is Dock along the right hand side, with a couple of "drawers". If awesome see attached root window screenshot in #7.

Biggest thing so far that needs figuring in awesome is "window shade". I like mouse double click and window rolls up/down.

I agree that a lot of the theming is complicated compared to WM. Takes a bit of grep in the right place with the right terms which are not obvious.

Attached my WindowMaker default screen.

Attachments

• wm1.png
    wm1.png
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 118
mer Sorry I confused Awesome with Window Maker... 😅

Nice puppies! 🥰
Thanks. Daphne (mom) about 4 yrs for this litter. 2 puppies Taquito (m) and Lupa (f). The third puppy? A Greater Swiss Mountain Dog that was a single, so Daphne is playing mom. We call him Queso. (Taco Tuesday litter). I have Taquito and Daphne with me. Handful :)

I thought they were Bernese Mountain Dogs, but a quick web search indicates that they can, but not always, look similar. I used to train dogs in my misspent youth, including protection, and one of the toughest dogs I worked with was a Bernese with the name of
Uncle Thaddeus. Anyway, I agree with freezr, thank you for sharing the shots of the dogs.

Yes Daphne is a Bernese, the two puppies off by themselves are hers again both Bernese the one sitting tucked up in her is a Greater Swiss that was born about 20 hrs earlier than hers and the Swissy breeder didn't want to deal with a single pup, so he became "a brother from another mother".
And if you want I only have about "2^64" pictures to share ;)

I started with KDE 20 years ago... when I was just trying to get going with Linux. Now I'm on FreeBSD since 2017, but I still stick with KDE over GNOME or other DE's - even to the point of getting KDE/FreeBSD going with Wayland :p

Back