arm64 kernel build ld -m "unknown emulation"

Hi

Does anyone know how to work around:
--- accf_data.kld ---
ld -m -d -warn-common --build-id=sha1 -r -d -o accf_data.kld accf_data.o
--- modules-all ---
ld: error: unknown emulation: -d
*** [accf_data.kld] Error code 1

It is missing something after the -m flag. Is it in elf format, 'aarch64elf' isn't it?

Compile is started with:
export BASEDIR=/usr
export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$BASEDIR/obj
make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=aarch64
make -j4 buildkernel TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 KERNCONF=MYCONF

buildworld worked ok. Just to try something (if this helps), if the following is added in front of the make: LDFLAGS=" -m aarch64elf" It errors and if it is changed to LDFLAGS=" aarch64elf" the text 'aarch64elf' appears after the '-m' and the build goes just a bit further, until the next step. And it don't help.

e

Try TARGET=arm64 TARGET_ARCH=aarch64.

BTW, are there any overrides in /etc/make.conf and/or /etc/src.conf? What is the build system version, and what is the built source version?

All overrides (now unset), make.conf:
Code:
NO_CPU_CFLAGS=YES
Commands:
make -j4 buildkernel TARGET=arm64 TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 KERNCONF=MYCONF

It did not help.. The build failed with the same error.

Log:
Code:
--- modules-all ---
ctfconvert -L VERSION -g accf_data.o
--- accf_data.kld ---
ld -m  -d -warn-common --build-id=sha1 -r -d -o accf_data.kld accf_data.o

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data
1 error

*** [all_subdir_accf_data] Error code 2

Built source version:
Code:
 # svn info
Path: .
Working Copy Root Path: /usr/src
URL: https://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/12
Relative URL: ^/stable/12
Repository Root: https://svn.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 353767
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: dim
Last Changed Rev: 353765
Last Changed Date: 2019-10-19 18:58:20 +0300 (Sat, 19 Oct 2019)

How do I check the build system version?
Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD name 12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r343231 kernelname  amd64
# ld --version
LLD 6.0.1 (FreeBSD 335540-1200005) (compatible with GNU linkers)
# clang --version
FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on LLVM 6.0.1)
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

Additional tests:
# make buildkernel TARGET=arm64 MACHINE=arm64 MACHINE_ARCH=aarch64 TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 KERNCONF=MYCONF

This one went past the previous accf_data.kld but it stopped in another error:
Code:
cc -target aarch64-unknown-freebsd12.1 --sysroot=/data/marvell_obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp -B/data/marvell_obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/usr/bin  -O2 -pipe  -fno-strict-aliasing -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -DKLD_TIED -nostdinc   -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -include /data/marvell_obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/MARVELDTS/opt_global.h -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ck/include -fno-common -g -fPIC -fdebug-prefix-map=./machine=/usr/src/sys/arm64/include -I/data/marvell_obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/MARVELDTS   -MD  -MF.depend.aw_sid.o -MTaw_sid.o -mgeneral-regs-only -ffixed-x18 -ffreestanding -fwrapv -fstack-protector -gdwarf-2 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -D__printf__=__freebsd_kprintf__ -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-error-tautological-compare -Wno-error-empty-body -Wno-error-parentheses-equality -Wno-error-unused-function -Wno-error-pointer-sign -Wno-error-shift-negative-value -Wno-address-of-packed-member    -std=iso9899:1999 -c /usr/src/sys/arm/allwinner/aw_sid.c -o aw_sid.o
/usr/src/sys/arm/allwinner/aw_sid.c:53:10: fatal error: 'nvmem_if.h' file not found
#include "nvmem_if.h"
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[5]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules/allwinner/aw_sid
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules/allwinner

I have been reading https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/crossbuild . If 'MACHINE...' variables should be the build systems I don't know. What are these environment variables? A good guide could help, some included: man build , man config , make target , not found.

e

upgrade your system first and try again.
Agreed, 12.1-STABLE also has a newer LLVM (8.0.1), the issue may already have been resolved.
Code:
dice@molly:~ % clang -v
FreeBSD clang version 8.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_801/final 366581) (based on LLVM 8.0.1)
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.1
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
dice@molly:~ % uname -a
FreeBSD molly.dicelan.home 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r353128 MOLLY  amd64

After svn update and installworld. The same.
Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD name 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r353778 kernelname  amd64

make -j4 buildkernel TARGET=arm64 TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 KERNCONF=MYCONF

Code:
--- modules-all ---
ld -m  -d -warn-common --build-id=sha1 -r -d -o accf_data.kld accf_data.o

1 error

Look at how Crochet does things. If you look at the settings for a Pi3 you'll notice that both TARGET and TARGET_ARCH are set to aarch64.

But, it hasn't been asked before, for what are you trying to cross-build? Tell us what you're trying to do.

Yes, that's what is understood. But not the why. If we know what he's trying to accomplish we can provide better answers. Let's prevent an XY problem.

After adding a new device (nvram) the kernel compiled flawlessly with the MACHINE -flags. If I had not understood this not yet twice. In fact there has been an issue in the makefiles here at the LD_EMULATION or similar just at arm64. I just don't find the link anymore. the 'TARGET' is not enough with arm64. I was about to put a smilie in the post because someone answered but I don't like the talking what someone is about to do or why is he doing this. Ok, compiled a kernel:
Code:
make -j4 buildkernel MACHINE=arm64 MACHINE_ARCH=aarch64 TARGET=arm64 TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 KERNCONF=MYCONF
make -j4 installkernel TARGET_ARCH=aarch64 DESTDIR=/data/ARM64 KERNCONF=MYCONF

It did the trick and the problem was solved. If there is still something to fix adding documentation and this target is not enought for the arm64.

Thanks for the help.

e

Postscript, edit 12:th of January 2020:
The setting was kernel option:
device nvmem
After setting the DTS option.

Last edited:
Back