Solved Are there viable IDE (eclipse, et. al.) available in FreeBSD?

Not finding anything but deprecated, need something to do some C, java, python, etc.

Need to write a program to manipulate LED lights.

Thanks in advance!

ed(1)

I should add that a friend of mine used cat(1) for short programs!
You mean like this? :flex:

There's also devel/kdevelop...

Generally speaking, if you install a DE that runs on top of Xorg, it will most likely come with at least a text editor that supports syntax highlighting, and you can install other text editors, too. UNIX is generally considered to be an OS "by programmers, for programmers". FreeBSD has basic stuff built right in (and available via command line): vi, make, cc, and the like.

If you want to manipulate LED lights under FreeBSD, it would be good to know about GPIO. Can OP do a simple helloworld in command-line? How fast can OP get there in any given language?

Most coding examples - they don't care about stuff being in an IDE, you just gotta have your syntax straight, and be in the correct directory. Having a good handle on the basics helps one decide on what extent of automation is useful.

Most coding examples - they don't care about stuff being in an IDE, you just gotta have your syntax straight, and be in the correct directory.
Yea and knowing what libraries to include and how to include them.
Command line editor ee and cc (or knowing how to compile some big project)
Crutches are not good when you don't need them.

Need to write a program to manipulate LED lights.
libgpio is what you need to study.

I've been using Qt Creator for the past 3 or 4 years. It's OK with C and C++ projects.

VScode has a lot more plugins. I've only ever briefly played with it. I didn't particularly like the way that is mashes together IDE and shell. And when I've watched colleagues using it I was a bit put off by the amount of json config files that needed hand editing. That said I'd probably give it a go if I were starting afresh.

IDEs that I've used all seem to work well if you are starting from zero and are willing to work in whatever model they use.
Coming into an existing project, with lots of multiline files across multiple subdirectories, they tend to take a lot of work to initially set up. Then sometimes performance hits as the tools regenerate cross references for you.

That's why I tend to stay with vi, emacs, make, tags. Easy enough to work anywhere, in emacs you can do a lot of things like in an IDE (run debugger, stop on error line, build etc). vi is worth using to get familiar with because pretty much available everywhere.

I've tried over the years to "like" an IDE, but maybe I'm just too old of a dog to learn new tricks. Being flexible enough to use the tools available instead of being crippled because you don't have something is a skill worth developing.

Above is my opinion, based on my experience.

Back