Closed Are BSDs Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are already multiple threads about that.

The 1-word answer is: No. For a second word, use the search function. For more words, use induction.

You can bet one thing. .. science, gov around the world and Amazon will never give it up with hopes that YOU do, so, don't believe the hype.

I do not think the BSDs will ever die.
They are the only operating systems that allow complete control of each resource.
Envy? probably.
Surely it is an operating system that must be studied in depth to obtain maximum performance.
We must be programmers, not just users of a graphical interface !!!

How about netcraft? Have they "confirmed"? :)

Now seriously, FreeBSD, especially, has been a paradigm of how can a system be an par or almost on par with another VERY popular system that MOST big companies use, lets say at 90% or more features-wise or performance-wise, while having only 375 core members in total. Ubuntu alone has 200 members. I guess if we add the ppl working in the most popular linux distros + the kernel, + drivers, the number would be larger than 1000, but its a rough estimation.

Honestly I don't think that FreeBSD will ever die, just for the very same reason that Linux will never die - the community behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back