Architecture inside Modems

Hello,
I wonder what is the type of Architecture inside Modems ( dlink, tplink, huawei ... ).
Can FreeBSD ( BSD Os family ) run under these architectures.

I found this site https://openwrt.org/, but I think it is dedicated to Linux.

Can I use FreeBSD OS to make a modem like those listed above ?
If yes, where can I get informations about hardware vendors?

Thanks.

Depends on the complexity of the modem. Early modems simply used a microcontroller. More modern routers/modems typically used MIPS. That's probably being replaced with ARM based controllers nowadays. Enterprise routers/switches/firewalls often run on a x86 based CPU.

modems are (FINALLY) dying anyways. VDSL was a dead-end from the start, so thankfully this is also fading now...

Fiber connections (especially business/enterprise lines) are terminated as a proper, standard ethernet ports, so there's no need for any modem.

As for BSD on such devices - I'd guess NetBSD would be the best contender to be able run on them (or even have a ready-to-install image), depending on the actual SoC/ASIC they are running.

Fiber connections (especially business/enterprise lines) are terminated as a proper, standard ethernet ports, so there's need for any modem.
The NTU that hooks onto the FTU is technically a modem, it converts the fiber signals to ethernet. With a fiber to the home connection at least. Business/enterprise connections simply hook the fiber directly in a router.

I thought we were talking about good old fashioned serial modems like a US Robotics that talked to the old fashioned telephone network
I guess not. :)

Thank you for valuable information.
I want say also, that there is so many countries where the fiber is not for tomorrow, so business with ADSL modems is good.

And maybe we can lure jbo here to tell us something about background of developing SW for embedded systems, as he offered here?
A (Free)BSD modem is at least an order of magnitude easier to conceive than a smartphone.
Firstly, because as already mentioned in this thread, these days a modem is hardly anything other than an x86/ARM based machine with two or more (often MII based) NICs.
Secondly, because usually you'll not run into the levels of gatekeeping, proprietary silicon & firmware as present on smartphones.
Thirdly, because the FreeBSD base AFAIK provides everything required to configure & run a modem/router. Therefore, if you have FreeBSD working on the device you're already mostly there.

For what it's worth, my "modems" are all FreeBSD machines running on either SuperMicro E300-8D or PCengine APUs. All of them work with FreeBSD out-of-the-box.

ondra_knezour Yeah I wrote a semi-lengthily post but the thread got (rightfully) locked in the meantime :D

I want say also, that there is so many countries where the fiber is not for tomorrow, so business with ADSL modems is good.
Cable modems, using DOCSIS are quite popular here. But cable might not have the same coverage in your part of the world. I suspect a lot of rural areas will have a telephone connection but not cable. So you're somewhat stuck with xDSL on the old copper phone network.

I thought we were talking about good old fashioned serial modems like a US Robotics that talked to the old fashioned telephone network
The definition of a "modem" has shifted a bit over the years. Back when I first got on the internet it was a POTS dialup one (rocking 14K4 baby!). Then ISDN, using the (in)famous Teles BRI card. Then ADSL -> ADSL2 -> VDSL. And right now I have a cable modem. At least until I figure out a way to get power near the FTU for the fiber connection.

When people talk of a "modem" nowadays, it's that box they got from the ISP. It is actually a modem (ISDN, cable, xDSL), plus a router and "firewall", and often a small 4 port switch. All conveniently cramped in a single box (and even PCB). Sometimes you can replace that with a FreeBSD machine, as long as you have the right interface card.

Back