Solved 'apt-cache show' alternative in pkg

Hello,

So I finally installed FreeBSD 10.1 on my work PC.
I come from Debian and before installing any software I do a apt-cache show foo. However, it looks like there is no alternative in pkg(8).

I can view the details after the package is installed using pkg info foo. Is there a way to do this before installation? I cannot depend on ports for this.

And what exactly does pkg query do?

Use pkg rquery. For example pkg rquery '%o:\n%e' foo shows the origin and description of package foo. You can probably build a format string that outputs the same amount of information as apt-cache show.

pkg query only queries already installed packages, while pkg rquery queries remote packages.

I highly recommend reading the man pages for these commands: pkg-rquery(8), pkg(8), etc.

Use pkg rquery. For example pkg rquery '%o:\n%e' foo shows the origin and description of package foo. You can probably build a format string that outputs the same amount of information as apt-cache show.

pkg query only queries already installed packages, while pkg rquery queries remote packages.

I highly recommend reading the man pages for these commands: pkg-rquery(8), pkg(8), etc.

Thanks!
It works :) was just not clear.

Back