Anyone who got GNOME3 working?

Hello
Is there anyone (except ruthr hehe) who got GNOME3 running on FreeBSD (9.1)?

I'm trying for weeks already and I always get "Oops. Something has gone wrong" error.

I used marcusmerge script to download the experimental ports and made gnome3-lite and gnome3, the only thing which made problems was mutter. After removing backtrace code and warn-error it worked.

Thanks a lot.

I've not been on the list for a bit; but, you may want to join the gnome mailing list. My recollection is that most care little about anything outside of Linux. NetworkManager was the big hurdle with the Makefile having needed a complete rewrite.

decsis said:
Hello
Is there anyone (except ruthr hehe) who got Gnome3 running on FreeBSD (9.1)?

I'm trying for weeks already and I always get "Oops. Something has gone wrong" error.

I used marcusmerge script to download the experimental ports and made gnome3-lite and gnome3, the only thing which made problems was mutter. After removing backtrace code and warn-error it worked.

thanks a lot
The last time I tried I had to remove some lines from JS code, otherwise GNOME wouldn't start. GDM was also not working for me. Biggest problem when I started it up a few weeks ago was that the tray seems to crash GNOME when trying to start a program which places an icon there (VLC for example). Did you get that working? Can't wait for the first beta... :)

it's working on OpenBSD :D(even on powerpc machines)

ON topic

seems to be a makefile issue, works when compiled with CLANG, but still has problems, GDM has broken deps, and is working with fallback mode

I used the procedure on this site and was able to get GNOME 3 running on my build using PC-BSD 9.1. What's nice as the script will remove the old window manager for you, very clever.

http://www.pkgdemon.com ;)

This procedure works quite well, thank you.

kpedersen said:
This site looks very useful. I don't suppose there would be a GNOME1 port/package any time soon? ;)

Thanks. There are no plans for GNOME1 currently.

kpedersen said:
Also, CDE now builds flawlessly on FreeBSD, depending on your aims with pkgdemon, this might be a cool one to add to your site.

I've been wanting to add CDE to pkgdemon. I've looked at the build instructions for FreeBSD a few times but I haven't tried it yet. I may try to create a port for this so that I can create packages unless you might know of one?

We don't have a port for CDE yet. One of the difficulties we have forseen is that CDE installs to /usr/dt and might take a bit of fiddling to get it to install to /usr/local

If you are interested in creating a port and if you get time, jump onto irc.freenode.net #cde and let us know if you are experiencing any problems.

kpedersen said:
We don't have a port for CDE yet. One of the difficulties we have forseen is that CDE installs to /usr/dt and might take a bit of fiddling to get it to install to /usr/local

If you are interested in creating a port and if you get time, jump onto irc.freenode.net #cde and let us know if you are experiencing any problems.

I'll have to drag out one of my old computers and test this new CDE.:f

[size=-1]I'm building my own Gnome3 version... i don't know about port or build gnome3
to freebsd 9 or later, but i'm creation a version to my arm/raspberry BSDa version.
It's a type of "lite mob. version".
[/size]

I'm building my own GNOME3 version. I don't know about building GNOME3 from ports on FreeBSD 9 or later, but I'm creating a version for my ARM/Raspberry BSDa version. It's a type of "lite mobile version".

Back