Solved anyone still using devd instead of udev for xorg?

I was thinking of compiling / reinstalling my xorg from ports with devd instead of udev backend on 13.1-RELEASE. But I don't know if it would break some stuff? Or be incompatible with certain things. I run icewm and e16. Does anyone still use devd for xorg?

the config in /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server has udev autoselected, so I thought it was the default. I installed xorg with pkg.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 102
It is the default. Still there's no udev on FreeBSD*. There's a compatibility shim on top of devd. It probably makes sense because udev is what xorg supports upstream. Just use it that way, it works fine.

* (very) short history: Linux had devd, but it was broken. Instead of fixing it, someone came up with something new: udev. Later, udev was integrated in systemd.

stratact nothing wrong about your post, you linked the port providing this udev to devd shim ;)

And indeed, the option to use devd directly is still there, but not the default any more. IIRC because it lacks some features. I'd expect it to completely vanish some day.

Everything on FreeBSD tells how to do things with devd and such. So this is a relief, that I don't have to worry about udev, because there's a compatibility layer if it's needed.

I'm concerned with devd and evdev, as they're used on FreeBSD.

Back