any anomalies with wired networking in pi400?

Hello,

I have used FreeBSD on X86, but not on arm, but now I tried, I know builtin wifi is not supported, but I tried (everything) and genet0 interface seems to be configured, tried network setup with "bsdconfig", manually, checked my resolve.conf, rc.conf, routing, but whatever I try, I get no route to host or other messages that I can't connect to the internet, I even can't ping my defaultroute (tp-link r7000) 192.168.1.1
I believe I miss something here, that's the reason I ask it here, I love FreeBSD (only used it for a couple of months) I started in the early days with slackware, I am just trying (for hobby) to config FreeBSD on a rpi400, only no network (wired) en I don't want wireless for now...

Thank you,

Regards,

Sander (The Netherlands).

Interesting bug. That said, you shouldn't run into this when you have the interface configured in /etc/rc.conf and don't do ifconfig genet0 down. It also looks like it's specific to 14.0-CURRENT.

I have similar problems with my rpi400. Network is not sending any packets out after boot and network configuration in `rc.conf`does not apply, including tests with `media` and `mediaopts` on `genet0`. I am almost sure this has something to do with the initialisation of the interface. If I boot the machine without the network cable attached and then apply it after login, DHCP and networking is working as expected.

I tested with FreeBSD 13.2 and also with FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT (snapshot of 4th Mai). Even compiled a new kernel overnight to be sure the latest `miibus` and `genet` drivers where included. Also tried different EEPROM versions, including the newest one. I boot from USB using an external SSD.

If it fails, then genet is usually never recovering.

If someone has it running on a rpi400, I would appreciate if you could post the FreeBSD version, EEPROM version and EEPROM config.

In general it is very strange, I have 4 of these machines and even on this instance, I never had networking issues at all under Linux. So there must be at least a way to drive the BCM2711 network PHY somehow without these problems.

I'm running 13.2 Release on my pi400.
zroot, on an external usb SSD (MBR partitioning), static IPv4 address, no DHCP. It's working fine, and the network comes up on boot. (At least it boots if I don't have the backup zroot disk attached at boot time; if I do, it tries and fails to network boot.)

I don't know how to tell what firmware is running from FreeBSD, but I haven't done anything special. It was running RPI bullseye before, and I kept that up-to-date.

I copied the boot partition for running FreeBSD from the RPI .img as per a helpful recipe someone posted - https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...ying-to-get-zfs-on-root-on-usb-working.87492/

I am having the exact same issue as kwinsch.

I am able to get a reliable network connection using a USB to ethernet adapter without having to do any special configuration. For my use case the ethernet adapter is tenable.

Back