Antenna for 4G/LTE Broadband

balanga

Son of Beastie

Can anyone recommend a solution for boosting 4G/LTE reception in remote areas?

I was looking at something like this but a little cheaper... Not sure how efficient these sort of things are...

OP
OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

Thanks for the link but there is too much choice for someone who doesn't understand the technology. I'd prefer someone to tell me that this is what I use and recommend it :). One thing I suppose I need to think about is 5G.

Also, how would I connect it to up to a FreeBSD box...

IPTRACE

That antenna supports 5G but it's combo solution (4G/5G, Wifi, GPS).

What modem have you got?

I'm trying to use better connection than standard PPP daemon.
Look at my thread https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/mpd5-for-lte-modem-connection-issue.74556/ .

OP
OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

I'm just at the planning stage at the moment. I have used a HUAWEI E3372 at some point and got a pretty quick connection but haven't used it recently and can't remember the specifics, although it was fairly complicated and involved setting it up as an RNDIS NIC.

OP
OP
B

balanga

Son of Beastie

Actually, I have two of these modems, and I'm not sure if one of them is not locked to the O2 network.

I've just fired up Debian and inserted the first one. I thought I did unlock but just now I got an O2 webpage but I think that is built into the modem. Couldn't tell if it connected anywhere although I did manage to send a TEXT using the GUI, but couldn't work out what I needed to do via Debian's network manager. The light on the modem just kept flashing as if it was looking for a connection.

To my surprise the other modem worked immediately, seemed to make a connection and I'm actually writing this post via this broadband connection.

Using Speedtest I managed to get 8Mbps upload and 13Mbps download speed. That is faster than I get via phone service - no Optical where I am yet :(