general/other another post about VirtualBox or Bhyve

Hi there, I use virtualbox-ose-nox11 for years in my production enviroment
the servers are more or less, HP proliant with Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz and 60GB or Ram
I have 8 to 10 VMs in each one , but sometimes I suffer smalls hangs ups with gigabites of free Ram and plenty cpu free
(only one cpu to the virtualmachines)
so I want to move to Bhyve
I run a windows10 virtual machine and like it, works fine..the configuration is easy and suports the nvme driver

the virtual servers are 80% Linux, from debian to ubuntu and works fine with one cpu asigned and 2 or 3GB of ram
a couple of windows servers..2016,2018,etc

Also I read that virtualbox port is no longer mantained?

so..what's your opinion guys? in a production enviroment

Also I read that virtualbox port is no longer mantained?
That's not the case. Best is, inform yourself first hand, not from third parties.

Bug 271146 emulators/virtualbox-ose{-*}: update to latest version 7.0.18 is in progress. Just a reminder, ports are maintained by volunteers, and sometimes the problem in maintaining ports is the complexity of a port and man power.

To quote the current VirtualBox maintainer in the PR:
Code:
Vladimir Druzenko freebsd_committer freebsd_triage   2024-05-04 12:29:06 UTC      Comment 14

The sources have changed a lot - our patches need significant work: 89 patches with
7811 lines total. Is anyone else ready to take on updating some of our patches? If
I do it alone, it could take weeks, or even months.

Can't comment on VirtualBox vs. bhyve.

thanks for your comments, but the dream ends 🤣
My idea was run it on a proliant ml110 g6 server, had enought ram(ddr3) and a descent,basic xeon cpu
but I dont have the "UG" flag in the procesor flags..so, I cant run bhyve

thanks for your comments, but the dream ends 🤣
My idea was run it on a proliant ml110 g6 server, had enought ram(ddr3) and a descent,basic xeon cpu
but I dont have the "UG" flag in the procesor flags..so, I cant run bhyve
What is this UG flag? The bhyve requirements are VT-x (of course), POPCNT and VT-d if you want to have the device passthru capability.

What is this UG flag? The bhyve requirements are VT-x (of course), POPCNT and VT-d if you want to have the device passthru capability.
Unrestricted mode
when I start the instalation of the iso I get this
Code:
! no unrestricted guest support in cpu. only single vcpu FreeBSD guests supported

Maybe you can swap the CPU (from the same timeframe) that does have the option? You can probably find one, refurbished/second hand, on ebay or the like for pennies.

One of my VM hosts has some pretty old hardware (nearly 15 year old):
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz (2400.10-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206c2  Family=0x6  Model=0x2c  Stepping=2
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x29ee3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
A "new" system I'm building is slightly newer:
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 0 @ 2.90GHz (2893.21-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206d7  Family=0x6  Model=0x2d  Stepping=7
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x1fbee3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

Back