Another Flash Player post

Hello, I am kinda new to FreeBSD, I used to work with Linux all this time. Since I installed FreeBSD I do not want to boot linux (or any other OS) anymore, BUT:

I need to figure out a way to browse websites with flash (e.g.: youtube videos) and be able to watch them. I have read the FreeBSD manual and all the options it suggests, I have searched the forums for like a week or so, and I am still not able to do it.

I DO NOT want to use a linux emulation, nor wine, I want to do it only by using BSD libs, players and whatever there is. I have tried the swfdec way but I always get this error when trying to view youtube videos:
Code:
An error has occured, try again later
As I see it this means that Firefox does find swfdec but it is unable to play it..

To sum things up, is there any reliable (or even not 100% reliable) way to play flash videos without using linux or windows emulation/libraries? Is there any guide to specifically instruct me how to do it?

You might want to try multimedia/quvi
Code:
quvi URL --exec "/usr/local/bin/<your player> %u"

What exactly do you mean by <your player>? Do the web browsers fall into that category of "player"?

I want to be able to view some .swf videos and be able to view youtube videos as well. At least...

I am open to trying other browsers than firefox (even IE! :O). In fact I prefer not using Firefox as a web browser, but that's another story. I mention it, though, because there might be other browsers with built-in flash players (like google-chrome).

Anyway.

<your player> is a player, maybe mplayer, vlc, etc.
quvi supports 20+ video websites, including youtube and video.google.

redsolja said:
I am open to trying other browsers than firefox (even IE! :O). In fact I prefer not using Firefox as a web browser, but that's another story. I mention it, though, because there might be other browsers with built-in flash players (like google-chrome).

Chrome supports Flash because it bundles Adobe Flash Player, so it's actually the same thing as downloading it manually and installing it.

There is no one that knows how to handle what I said? I tried the one solution about gnash, it does work only at some swf files that I have on my pc, but certainly nothing works on youtube... About the google-chrome, I knew that but I thought it would be off-topic to mention it. Anyway, thanks?

I didn't know that such port exists. Although my system does not include it and I have no idea why... FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE p2. Where can I download it from?

You can't install Chromium from ports now, since it's marked 'forbidden' due to security vulnerabilities. The Handbook has a chapter on ports and packages.

So actually it was off-topic. Anyway this was not the issue, but if anyone knows any other way - combination of viewing flash videos without using linux compatiblity or wine. It appears that there isnt anyone atm. Have you got to suggest anything?

Back