Annoying email message

Everytime I log in it tells me I have new mail but when I read /var/mail/<username> it's always telling me the same thing, that I edited a file several days ago. How can I get it to stop telling me this everytime I log in?

Those are recovery files. They are created by vi when it dies unexpectedly while you're editing a file, and every time you reboot there is an RC script that mails you about it.

Run:

Code:
vi -r

To recover the files. If you don't need them, just :q!

Once they're recovered, you won't get any more emails.

Or you can add this to /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
virecover_enable="NO"

That will shut the RC script up, but it won't stop vi from creating recovery files. See vi(1) for more information on that.

aragon said:
Those are recovery files. They are created by vi when it dies unexpectedly while you're editing a file, and every time you reboot there is an RC script that mails you about it.

Run:

Code:
vi -r

To recover the files. If you don't need them, just :q!

Once they're recovered, you won't get any more emails.

Or you can add this to /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
virecover_enable="NO"

That will shut the RC script up, but it won't stop vi from creating recovery files. See vi(1) for more information on that.

sounds to me, like from different topic

It's still doing it. I've recovered these files but it keeps emailing me daily. Why doesn't it just send one then shut up? I don't want to disable mail notices altogether just stop these same ones about the same file that I've recovered many times.

I found some vi recover.* files in /var/tmp that contain the mail messages I'm receiving. I'm deleting them and see what happens.

Back