Android tethering and NAT

As I am a poor man, I've decided to try tethering a wireless device to access the internet with my small LAN.

I came across this page in the handbook, which tells me how to tether a device by loading it into the kernel. Just wondering how I could get it to tether during startup so I can still perform NAT (Network Address Translation)?

Thanking you in advance,
Jonathan.

Well from my own personal adventures with this issue. DON'T DO IT! With an Android anyway. And not in Australia. I think FreeBSD isn't guilty because it does the same thing on Linux distributions I use.

I have tried it on Android 6.0 and it is unreliable at best just doing basic web browsing. It's rather annoying to have to....
dhclient ue[I]0[/I]

at the terminal (where ue0 is the interface created when you enable tethering on the device) every time it drops out which can be quite often.Even during this posting I had to reset the tether to this linux box.

As I do not have FreeBSD at the moment I think I will limit myself to trying to script it in linux first, doing NAT (Network Address Translation) on the fly. But overall I think network stability is not high enough or fast enough too support multiple clients.

Regards,
Jonathan.

So its not the cellular network that's the problem but tethering.
My Sierra modem uses PPP which is a pain to setup but once done done it works wonderful.
Even with a Straight Talk PAYGO tablet SIM.

Do you have any older laptops not in use? They make the cheapest MiFi possible.
Slip in a SIM and connect via PPP with the internal modem and setup the WiFi as an access point.
Plus you can use the laptop ethernet to feed a router.
I use dnsmasq with two seperate IP ranges for ethernet and WiFi. I did have to learn pf before deploying.
Previously I used pfSense as my MiFi O/S.

Because laptops use the screen area for antenna I feel signal strength is better than a cellular phone.

Back