An admin needs to delete my account

Barney

In other words, he's following the rules. EOL versions are not supported on this forum.
That applies to FreeBSD itself, not the 10,000 EOL products that work with FreeBSD. There's no reason for people not to be able to share their experiences if someone wants isn't running the latest version of apache. You can't just upgrade production systems every time there's a new package.

I have been a member since 2009, but seven years ago I stopped because of the repeated actions of another member who had the support of the admins.

Then a few months ago I came back and then saw where another member asked to be deleted because of the same actions which caused me to pause coming here seven years ago. I said then I was going to leave for another seven years because nothing had changed, but after a couple of weeks I started participating again.

A couple of weeks ago, I was personally attacked by an admin (SirDice) in a thread. I have stewed about it since then and have decided this place is toxic, and a large part of the reason is the admins who allow this behavior and even take part in it. I no longer wish to be a registered member. I had used FreeBSD from 1995-2021. As well as AIX from 1995-2019, Solaris from 2003-2021, and Linux from 2006-present; all in the enterprise from a major insurance company to an e-commerce retailer to the largest online e-trading company to a very large North American transportation company to the US DOD, and a few smaller companies in finance and distribution. The systems I worked with were IBM RS/6000 SP2 complexes to IBM RS/6000 S80s to Sun Fire e2900s and Sun Fire e6800s to 50,000 servers in 3 data centers. I don't need--or want--to have personal attacks from an admin questioning my abilities.
Honestly seems like a lot of pointless overblown drama, and I don't see the need to wave your credentials around either (I'm not doubting them at all, I just don't think it's relevant).

If that is what people here enjoy doing and they derive pleasure from it, then by all means, continue. I'm sure the admins will continue to placate the behavior and also participate. It has been ongoing for several years and immediately after my self-imposed seven-year hiatus, I found it never stopped.

I'm certain there will be comments personally attacking me for making these remarks; and I hope there are. It will just offer validation of what I wrote. Please delete my account.
I would say there's two sides to every story. I recall the member whom you had clashes with, both here and at the daemonforums.org site. He was a (rather controversial) OpenBSD fan, but you were constantly injecting criticism and jibes against OpenBSD and its developers and the "only two remote holes..." claim seemingly at every opportunity (to me and others it just came across as a long term grudge thing) . It works both ways.

As others have said - it's a just forum. i don't see the need to leave / announce you're leaving / threaten to leave.

Heard at the Unilever office in Rotterdam, where many British and Dutch nationals work: "The Brits are too decent to be honest and the Dutch are too honest to be decent.".
Amsterdam recently did an ad campaign targeting mainly British men (lad culture) to "stay away" - brilliant!

I was in Norway a few months ago, I found it funny how the British and Norwegian ideas of being polite clashed.

British polite: "Hi, sorry to bother you, I wonder if you could help, could you please direct me to the railway station? Thanks, sorry, thanks! bye"
Norwegian polite: "Trains, that way?"

temperature rises
snowflakes falling from above
what a crazy world
A Haiku, how nice.

Frisian (coastal region from germany, netherlands, little bit of denmark)
"Trains?" *points finger* (opening your mouth unneeded adds to the risk of the wind blowing a seagull in it)

Certain brits: "My hovercraft is full of eels".

And on topic, what was the problem _exactly_?

Amsterdam recently did an ad campaign targeting mainly British men (lad culture) to "stay away" - brilliant!

I was in Norway a few months ago, I found it funny how the British and Norwegian ideas of being polite clashed.

British polite: "Hi, sorry to bother you, I wonder if you could help, could you please direct me to the railway station? Thanks, sorry, thanks! bye"
Lol.

I would say there's two sides to every story.
Old joke among divorce attorneys: There are three sides to every story: his, her's, and the truth.

I would over-simplifyingly summarize as: the further north you go, the less spoken language is tolerated. I lived in Hamburg (northern Germany) for two years. If you walk into a bakery or butcher shop, the correct thing to say is "moin" (which is the local dialect version of "good morning"). Single syllable, and sufficient to establish that you are communicating. Saying "moin moin" clearly shows that you are brainless and too chatty: it could have been said shorter. Saying "good morning" shows that you are not local, but instead might be Prussian, from the Rhineland, or (god forbid) Bavarian. Which immediately identifies you as an enemy. And if you were to add "nice weather today", everyone will stare at you: that's a very personal question; we don't tend to discuss our intimate details with people we've just met.

Reference:

thzoasnhwub01.png

How dare you being direct & helpful!
:)

I keep seeing this thread "How to tell if a program exists and is executable" in the latest posts as it's quite active topic. There's plenty of answers there already but I was curious to see why is it still so active.

The feature of quoting on this forum didn't help gpatrick's case. The incorrect check logic: test -x .. || echo exists was provided by Balanga. He quoted him (picture you showed) and SirDice said incorrect to gpatrick which seems to be a trigger of this all. And it seems it escalated quickly then.

He quoted him (picture you showed)
Not really, he created his own examples demonstrating how this wrong pattern gives wrong results, without making it explicit this was meant as an example to demonstrate how it's wrong ....

Taking some correction/explanation following this as a personal offense is just childish, and we're just supporting drama here. Hey, for those enjoying that kind of drama, there's more in the posting history :cool:

Taking some correction/explanation following this as a personal offense is just childish, and we're just supporting drama here. Hey, for those enjoying that kind of drama, there's more in the posting history :cool:
I agree, too much drama. I didn't want to poke my nose too much but I noticed the mistake I mentioned above.

Not really, he created his own examples demonstrating how this wrong pattern gives wrong results
His examples after "This is probably what you want (does the file exist and is it executable)" are ok.

But if you have a look at this:
1709027011545.png

It seems like gpatrick said that. But he didn't, it's a quote of Balanga.

Back