amdgpu + mpv + vdpau-copy = system crash

Hey,
AMD RX 570 and AMD 5900X based desktop machine.

Today, for the first time on it I was playing movies via mpv, when turning on hwdec it picked vdpau-copy (previously installed mesa-gallium-vdpau).

Out of a sudden, machine was rebooted on some kind of hard kernel crash during video play. Hardware is pretty stable in other systems than FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE.

What are some strategies how to tackle this issue? How can one debug that? Everything installed via pkg

Hey,
AMD RX 570 and AMD 5900X based desktop machine.

Today, for the first time on it I was playing movies via mpv, when turning on hwdec it picked vdpau-copy (previously installed mesa-gallium-vdpau).

Out of a sudden, machine was rebooted on some kind of hard kernel crash during video play. Hardware is pretty stable in other systems than FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE.

What are some strategies how to tackle this issue? How can one debug that? Everything installed via pkg
Isn't VDPAU only available on Nvidia GPUs?

i use vaapi on my dell xps 15

Code:
vo=gpu
hwdec=vaapi

from the debian wiki

APIs and Hardware / Software Support

The three main APIs that are in use are VA-API, VDPAU, and NVENC/NVDEC.

VA-API - Supported on Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA (only via the open-source Nouveau drivers). Widely supported by software, including Kodi, VLC, MPV, Chromium, and Firefox. Main limitation is lacking any support in the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

VDPAU - Supported fully on AMD and NVIDIA (both proprietary and Nouveau). Supported by most desktop applications like Kodi, VLC, and MPV, but has no support at all in Chromium or Firefox. Main limitations are poor and incomplete Intel support and not working with browsers for web video acceleration.

NVENC/NVDEC - A proprietary API supported exclusively by NVIDIA. Only supported in a few major applications (FFmpeg and OBS Studio for encoding, FFmpeg and MPV for decoding). Main limitation is limited software and hardware support across the board because of its proprietary nature.

you should use the --log-file=[location] parameter to capture the log file and try specify the --gpu-context in my situation I was only able to use vdpau-copy on x11egl but if I use either wayland or drm it uses vdpau.

Back