general/other AMD64 Virtualisation options without EPT

Hello

I'd like some advice on what options there are for virtualising amd64 desktops on FreeBSD, preferably with GUI configuration.

I'm aware of the following, but these have issues as I have noted below.

1. Virtualbox 7.0 - Windows 10/11 UI crashes, rendering the guest unusable. Fine with other operating systems though.
2. bhyve - my CPU is quite old (2006), it supports VT-d but not EPT (i might have that TLA slightly wrong, going from memory) so vmm won't load, curiously. My hardware is a Mac Pro so I can't just "turn on" EPT unfortunately. I've tested and confirmed this issue by swapping the disk into a newer model of similar hardware, and vmm loaded fine.
Code:
vm_create: Device not configured
3. QEMU - I experimented with this but I think it is running in software emulation mode, potentially due to the issue above. I'm not really sure what hypervisor it is supposed to be using on FreeBSD either.

Alternatively, if you can tell me conclusively that my hardware just cannot cut it, perhaps I'll sob for a week or two, but then use this as justification to go all out on a hardware spending spree to help recover from the emotional pain of moving on.

Thank you, kindly.

Back