amd vega and radeon series vga card driver for FreeBSD 12.1 tutorial for beginner[update 2020-04-06]

Sevendogsbsd

Aspiring Daemon

I just install the drm-kmod package and xf86-video-amdgpu. I add the appropriate entry to /etc/rc.conf. I do no other configuration and the system just works. This is a desktop PC though, not a laptop. I only have an RX570 so can't speak to any other models or laptops as I do not use a laptop with FreeBSD.

cabriofahrer

I do not intend to run a laptop either. I am asking because I might be interested in buying a Desktop AMD GPU with vega in the furture.

zeising@

Developer

Be aware that the drm-v5.0-fbsd12.1 branch is not supported, and not guaranteed to work. There were a couple of regressions with the 5.0 branch, which is why both drm-current-kmod (for current) and drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (for FreeBSD 12.x) are stuck with Linux 4.16 code. If you need newer drivers, it is probably best to run FreeBSD current and use drm-devel-kmod.

roper

I do not intend to run a laptop either. I am asking because I might be interested in buying a Desktop AMD GPU with vega in the furture.
I've purchased a B550 motherboard and am awaiting a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ordered from China. I'll let you know how vega works out when it arrives.

zeising@

Developer

I've purchased a B550 motherboard and am awaiting a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ordered from China. I'll let you know how vega works out when it arrives.
I believe this should be supported when using a recent FreeBSD CURRENT ant the lastest drm-kmod and gpu-firmware-kmod updates.