AMD GPU and hardware acceleration

Hello to the community

Does anyone have a full working configuration of an AMD gpu + full hardware acceleration on 13 or on 12.2 with EFI boot ? Have the issues been resolved on current ?

I have tried with 2-3 different models (6450, rx560,rx550) on 12.2 all have issues and of course no hw. Nvidia is fine but i would like to see amd work.

There should be support for more AMD GPUs in FreeBSD 13.0 as that should support Linux 5.4 LTS supports. For 12.x, the graphics card support is what was in the Linux 4.16 kernel.

A recent thread on the X11 mailing list also discusses the current state (for 13.0-ALPHA).

If you have a fairly recent GPU (i.e., one from 2019 or later), you may have to wait for 13.0 to be released around March.

FWIW, I run an RX 5700XT with 13-ALPHA3, and it works well, but I am looking forward to use it on a RELEASE as I don't have the time right now to follow development branches.

Hello to the community

Does anyone have a full working configuration of an AMD gpu + full hardware acceleration on 13 or on 12.2 with EFI boot ? Have the issues been resolved on current ?
Hello!

I have two systems running, both FreeBSD 12.2. One has RX 550 and another has RX 570. Both have EFI boot. Work very well. Also, I keep one RX 550 as a spare in my drawer. It also works with 12.2.

Managed to get rx560 working easy with help fro, Raffeale's post and a latest guide , but for the old 6450 i needed to build : drm-fsbd12.0-kmod from ports and the old Ati driver was also needed (xf86-video-ati). Amd gpu looks superb - worth the try.

Back