Solved all cores reporting 17C as temp (AMD)

Hi, I have installed 12. RELEASE and have the amdtemp module loaded, however all cores on my fx 8150 report 17C as their temperature. This absolutely cannot be true because on windows this cpu runs close to 90C constantly..

My relevant hardware is as follows:

cpu: amd fx 8150
motherboard: MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition

Another thing I noticed is it only reports 4 cores out of the 8 my cpu is advertised to have but that is an issue for another thread, I think.

12-CURRENT doesn't exist any more. Besides that -CURRENT is always unsupported.

Use 12.0-RELEASE or, if you're feeling adventurous, 12-STABLE.

12-CURRENT doesn't exist any more. Besides that -CURRENT is always unsupported.

Use 12.0-RELEASE or, if you're feeling adventurous, 12-STABLE.
I am sorry, RELEASE is what I meant I am very stupid I will correct this right away

by the way this issue went away after a few reboots and I have no idea what changed besides me setting the powerd flags

By the way, there might also be other ways to measure temperatures. For example, most mainboards have one or more thermal sensors. Often they are accessible via sysctl hw.acpi.thermal. You might have to load an appropriate kernel module first, for example aibs(4) for certain ASUS mainboards. Of course that's not exactly the same as the on-die sensor of the processor, but mainboards usually have a sensor that's very close, right below the CPU socket. These are useful to check against the temperature value of the processor's own sensor, so you know if the readings look correct.

Apart from that, disks (both HDD and SSD) have temperature sensors, too, that can be read with smartctl(8) (from the smartmontools package / port). These are not directly related to the CPU temperature, of course.

Back