Alder Lake CPU

When I upgraded my system from a 4th gen Intel CPU to a 12th gen Intel CPU, FreeBSD no longer booted.
FreeBSD 13 stopped after printing EFI fb information. I tried integrated graphics, and Radeon graphics.
Same halting point when booting from installation media, as well.

So I tried FreeBSD 14-CURRENT installation image, which gets further into the boot.

But at some point, the screen goes black, with a text cursor in top-left.

Then, a few seconds later, a (responsive) mouse cursor with arrow, appears as well. Mouse is functional.

But then it sits there.
Alt-F2 does not switch to another console.

Is FreeBSD 14 compatible with Alder Lake?

CPU: i5-12600K
MB: ASUS PRIME Z690M-PLUS D4

Would you mind taking a photo of the screen?
IMG-9042.jpg

Context from Reddit: the photograph is of the installer for FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT (not an installation).

FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20220127-2c449a4c5a3-252673-memstick.img

Switch to the Radeon card and try toggling UEFI CSM mode on and off. (Intel Xe is reported to only work without CSM, so Radeon it is. Don't forget to set it as a primary graphics adapter in UEFI and connect it to the display.)

Switch to the Radeon card and try toggling UEFI CSM mode on and off. (Intel Xe is reported to only work without CSM, so Radeon it is. Don't forget to set it as a primary graphics adapter in UEFI and connect it to the display.)
My ASUS BIOS does not let me enable CSM. It is off.
The Radeon behaves exactly the same as Intel Integrated Graphics.

Might the recently discovered Intel CPU LA57 boot failure bug be relevant?
Thanks.

I think it is unrelated:

I tried the work-around specified in that reference:

* press 3
* set vm.pmap.la57=0
* boot

Doing this on FreeBSD 13 does not help with the hang after printing EFI fb.

Neither does it prevent the black screen on FreeBSD 14-CURRENT.

Assuming that this is how you set that kernel option via the boot loader?

My ASUS BIOS does not let me enable CSM. It is off.
The Radeon behaves exactly the same as Intel Integrated Graphics.

Thanks … maybe try <https://old.reddit.com/comments/si11tz/-/hv8ly98/?context=2>.

Some guesswork there, sorry; some of what's suggested, I can't easily test (I have only one computer).

Also, sorry for my strike-through in Reddit. If some of what you post to FreeBSD Forums is late to appear, it's probably part of the auto-moderation routine for new members.

I believe there's someone else that had a similar issue, with (from the top of my head) the same mainboard. Apparently it only allows you to turn on CSM if there's a discrete video card in the machine. I have a board from the same line; Asus PRIME Z590-A, no problems enabling CSM but I do use an NVidia video card. I'll have to take it apart to see if it has the same problem.

Ok, I now have an Installer UI from the 14-CURRENT image.
To fix the black screen, I did the following:
  • Plug in a discrete GPU and stop using Integrated GPU.
  • Only with discrete GPU, the BIOS now allows me to enable CSM.
  • With CSM enabled, the screen no longer goes black, during boot.
Thanks, everyone!

Hmm... I cheered too soon.
Even though I was able to install, once I boot it, I get this mess.
I did get a properly working boot menu though. It gets garbled after I select boot.

• 14-CURRENT
  • Radeon RX580 GPU
  • 12th Gen Intel CPU
  • CSM enabled
1643844692681.png

OK. I see it was fixed in 13.0-STABLE on 2021-05-03. It's only recent in relation to 13.0-RELEASE (fixed 2022-02-01).
Do you mean the efi-framebuffer-bug in the installer? I know it is fixed in Stable but is it now fixed in Release too?

No, not on the existing releases. Because it's been merged to -STABLE it will be included in the next release.
It was apparently committed to releng a few days ago (as evidenced by the notice linked earlier in this thread), so it should be available as a binary patch for 13.0. Is it not? I don't know how useful that fix would be without an installation image update, though.

Back