After upgrading no more audio in firefox

grahamperrin

Daemon

Thanks. At that page, without following a link to any other page at the site, there are a few videos, and a podcast. Playback for even a split-second will leave audio in use by a Firefox process after playback ceases. For example:

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # fstat | grep -e dsp -e mixer | grep firefox
grahampe firefox    35866   73 /dev         95 crw-rw-rw-  dsp1.0  w
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ #

1626224608049.png

RodrigoC

My cent:

On Firefox 91.0 updated by pkg upgrade, there was not audio anymore, other apps did play audio.
Pulseaudio is currently installed.
In Firefox's configuration, about:config, the "media.cubeb.backend" setting was a boolean with value true.
I'd change the setting from a boolean to a string with value "oss", restart the browser and now plays audio.

PMc

Daemon

In Firefox's configuration, about:config, the "media.cubeb.backend" setting was a boolean with value true.
I'd change the setting from a boolean to a string with value "oss", restart the browser and now plays audio.
Yes, it is an undocumeted, unexistent config option that happens to work.

And there was recently a change in firefox: I used to need that very method as Alain did discribe, to configure my firefox to use Jack. Otherwise, by default it would use OSS. But recently this changed, and I do no longer need this option! Firefox does now autodetect if my Jack is currently running or not (and crashes whenever that changes :/ ).

What this means is obvious: they have added more "unsolicited AI" stuff (that thinks it know what you want, better than yourself). And, also obvious: that stuff occasionally produces wrong results. Like in Your case. Cheerio.

PMc

Daemon

Ah, there it is. I once desperately tried to remember that word "cubeb", and had no real idea where to search...