Solved After upgrade Legacy driver no longer works

I tried: pkg update -f but my xf86-video-ati-legacy driver no longer seems supported. After pkg search I only see xf86-video-ati. Does this mean that the legacy driver is being dropped? All I get is a black screen but I don't reach the kde desktop.

There is a patch to make xf86-video-ati-legacy work with xorg-server 1.20, but I haven't had anyone really test it (I don't have the opportunity myself), so I haven't been able to commit the update.
What's preventing you from using xf86-video-ati?

There is a patch to make xf86-video-ati-legacy work with xorg-server 1.20, but I haven't had anyone really test it (I don't have the opportunity myself), so I haven't been able to commit the update.
What's preventing you from using xf86-video-ati?
I tried xf86-video-ati but I only get black screen. I'm not sure if something else might get me past that point. I even have tried simply using latest instead of quarterly but same results. It seems that if I force an upgrade or use latest then I have only a black screen. How would you go about applying patch? Never done something like that myself.

I tried xf86-video-ati but I only get black screen. I'm not sure if something else might get me past that point. I even have tried simply using latest instead of quarterly but same results. It seems that if I force an upgrade or use latest then I have only a black screen. How would you go about applying patch? Never done something like that myself.

Which kernel driver are you using, drm-legacy-kmod or drm-kmod?
To apply the patch, you need a ports tree, then download the patch and run patch < /path/to/patch should work, you then need to build xf86-video-ati-legacy and install it.

To apply the patch, you need a ports tree, then download the patch and run patch < /path/to/patch should work, you then need to build xf86-video-ati-legacy and install it.

I managed to get the xf86-video-ati driver to work. Apparently, I needed to use a configuration file in xorg.conf.d. Unfortunately, my mouse doesn't work. I have moused_enable in rc.conf but I suspect I need to have a device section in my configuration in xorg.conf.d.

I tried adding a section for it to my configuration:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver       "radeon"
    Option    "AccelMethod" "SNA"
    Option    "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Option      "Buttons" "3"
EndSection

Still the mouse seems frozen. Is this a problem with xorg?

I have moused_enable in rc.conf but I suspect I need to have a device section in my configuration in xorg.conf.d.
Section "InputDevice"
If necessary, use Section “InputClass” instead in the configuration file, but first read the following thread and try without a configuration file for the mouse and without moused_enable in rc.conf (works for me on my system).

Is this a problem with xorg?

I discovered that right clicking with the mouse can create a pop up menu but there is no mouse arrow. The pointer isn't visible on the screen. The wheel on the mouse allows for some scrolling. I tried the patch and it doesn't seem to allow the port to build for my legacy ati driver. Using the vesa driver allows for both video and mouse but resolution is terrible. Is there a way to set resolution to something higher in vesa? I'd switch to vesa for now if that were possible.

Solved the mouse problem to some degree by realizing that the mouse was functional just not showing the cursor. I added: Option "SWCursor" "true" to my configuration file and it shows now. Movement is slow. I increased the acceleration in kde to make it move faster but would like to find a way to set this in the configuration file. I would like it to be more sensitive, responsive. Any suggestions?

Solved the mouse problem to some degree by realizing that the mouse was functional just not showing the cursor. I added: Option "SWCursor" "true" to my configuration file and it shows now. Movement is slow. I increased the acceleration in kde to make it move faster but would like to find a way to set this in the configuration file. I would like it to be more sensitive, responsive. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure which configuration file you're referring to, but perhaps xinput is what you're looking for, if you need to adjust mice behavior further.

I'm not sure which configuration file you're referring to, but perhaps xinput is what you're looking for, if you need to adjust mice behavior further.
I have only adjusted my video configuration file:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver       "radeon"
    Option    "AccelMethod" "SNA"
    Option    "TearFree" "true"
    Option    "SWCursor" "true"
EndSection
The mouse cursor is sluggish. I have the settings inside kde for the mouse set on the highest level. It makes things ok but I would like greater responsiveness from the mouse if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only adjusted my video configuration file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "SWCursor" "true"
EndSection

The mouse cursor is sluggish. I have the settings inside kde for the mouse set on the highest level. It makes things ok but I would like greater responsiveness from the mouse if possible.
Then I suggest having a look at xinput for details on how you can scale and speed up mouse pointers.

I just updated my system to FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p8 and found my X11 stopped working. I was using xf86-video-ati-legacy and it failed to update as it is marked broken as mentioned above.

For the record, the proposed patch to 7.10.0 given as a diff above did work for me and got my video going again. System HP p2-1310/AMD 32-1800 with AMD Radeon HD7340 Graphics.

I am nervous that the package is now (Aug 2020) marked as "deprecated" as well as broken. I hope this patch can get in, as having my desktop break on what should have been a simple "upgrade packages" was unexpected and time consuming.

I just updated my system to FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p8 and found my X11 stopped working. I was using xf86-video-ati-legacy and it failed to update as it is marked broken as mentioned above.

For the record, the proposed patch to 7.10.0 given as a diff above did work for me and got my video going again. System HP p2-1310/AMD 32-1800 with AMD Radeon HD7340 Graphics.

I am nervous that the package is now (Aug 2020) marked as "deprecated" as well as broken. I hope this patch can get in, as having my desktop break on what should have been a simple "upgrade packages" was unexpected and time consuming.

That might be my problem too. I wondered if a power disruption caused it, a ports upgrade or if I changed something on accident.

I did update my base system, and I can't log in to my window manager through xdm. (I can log in to the console.) .xsession-errors says permission denied, even after I loosen permissions.

See if setting the driver to VESA by uncommenting AMD drivers in rc.conf allows a login for a window manager to work.

Update.

It could be misplaced .xsession, .xinit, .Xdefaults and .Xresources. I was tinkering with these files, so this could be it. Rename these to add ".bk" at the end, then try it. I did this, and reinstalled x11/xsm, and this worked.

Rolling back freebsd-updates, and removing amdgpu from rc.conf didn't work.

Back