Solved After ugrading 12.1 to 12.2 can't change user password

# passwd sprinter
Changing local password for sprinter
New Password:
Retype New Password:

and work old password

Look at the timestamps of /etc/master.passwd and /etc/pwd.db, that's where your password is actually stored. Do the timestamps change when you change the password?

The first file contains an entry for the user's password, and the second file contains mnemonic codes and nothing can be parsed.I upgrade sequentially from 10.0 to 12.2 and this was not the case. I just changed root bash to csh as you advised me in another question of upgrade. I changed root's bash to csh in 11.0 but after the upgrade 12.1 to 12.2 bash reappeared and I again translated it to csh

But you did not answer SirDice's question.
What about the last modified times of those files? (do a ls -la on them and check if the times change when you do passwd)

ls -la /etc/master.passwd
-rw------- 1 root wheel 2691 Nov 17 17:04 /etc/master.passwd

ls -la /etc/pwd.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 40960 Nov 17 17:04 /etc/pwd.db

When upgrading from 12.1 to 12.2, a bug is triggered.
That bug you referred to is completely unrelated to this issue. That bug is about the upgrade procedure failing to execute pwd_mkdb (so: generating / updating the password database). Not to mention that the bug report is about CURRENT.

OP's issue is about trying to change a password (on a running system, not during an upgrade) which then doesn't seem to happen.

Back