Solved After and during 11.2 install screen output waits sometimes for a keystroke

Hi,
I just installed FreeBSD 11.2 on my Toshiba C650D-11j (for which I had to do a BIOS update; see Installing FreeBSD 11.2 from usb on Toshiba laptop panics during kernel load).
During bsdinstall I noticed something very peculiar : in the beginning of the install the program searches for keymap files. However the message 'fetching keymap files' appears in the interface and hangs (I noticed a cursor in the bottom left of the screen). Until I press a key on my keyboard and then I get the list of the keymap files. During several (but not all) points where in bsdinstall I had to move from screen to screen, I could only do so by pressing a key (I used <shift> and not <enter> because this key is used within bsdinstall) .

Once installed, the boot messages appear fluently without hangs. However when I am logged in as root and I type 'poweroff' again a few lines appear and then it hangs ... until I press a key. I have to press quite a few keys for the shutdown process to advance until it is completely shut down....

I have no clue to what this could be related.
I did notice the following though in my boot messages :
module_register_init: MOD-LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff80ff4550, 0) error 19
But since I configured my machine to load radeonkms at boot time, the vesa driver could not the problem ...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
You can ignore the VESA message. It's not relevant, VESA was used for the old sc(4) console, which is still loaded but not active. Modern FreeBSD versions use vt(4) by default.

I can remember that odd 'pressing a key' to continue issue before. But I can't remember the details of it.

SirDice,
thanks for the advice on the VESA driver and the error message.

In the mean while, I tried out several other scenario's. However the problem keeps re-occuring.
In my search on the internet, I found this post which exactly describes the same situation (but the poster go no reaction on his problem).

Given the fact that my poweroff, shutdown -p now, reboot, halt always stopped on the output message 'writing entropy file ...', I found in Thread boot-entropy-and-zfs-bootpool.59004 adaptations to make to /boot/loader.conf related to zfs.
However the problem remains. What I did notice is that my reboot got stuck after writing the entropy file. Proof that entropy has nothing to do with it.
I also did a freebsd-update (I'm now at p2) but nothing changed. I also searched extensively all the mailing lists but nothing useful came up.

Is there another way I can further diagnose this ? I've been looking for a 'verbose shutdown' but only found means for a verbose boot ...

Since this apparently has happened before, is there nobody out there who encountered this before ?
As said, this is a clean 11.2 install (now patched to p2) where I already got some hangs on my screen during bsdinstall...

Bump, any help ?

Apparently, somebody experienced the same problem under Debian ....
So I looked if I could turn off ACPI but then my laptop won't boot.
I also tried to disable the subsystem 'timer' in ACPI (based on the answer of the Debian post) by putting
Code:
debug.acpi.disabled="timer"
in /boot/loader.conf but still the same situation ...

I solved all my problems on this laptop by simply installing FreeBSD 12.0.
Do not know what really went wrong with the 11.2 install but that's no longer any of my worries.

Back