Solved Advice needed on implementing VLANs on a 3-segment firewall

Hello everybody,

I have a 15-year old system with a role of firewall (pf)/DHCP server/squid/squidguard. This system which is currently running FreeBSD 11, has 3 network cards, each one serving a network segment (wan, dmz, lan). Built at a time I had no knowledge of VLANs, and trying to connect each interface to the corresponding network segment, I ended up with a spaghetti of network cables: each card went to a small unmanaged switch on the same rack (so, 3 small switches in the same rack in total). Ok, I had to install switches because next to the firewall there was a LAN-, a DMZ- and a WAN-operating device. From these 3 switches I had to install uplink cables to connect it to the rest of my infrastructure. All in all, a pitiful situation.

The system has 3 intel NICs installed, all of them using the em driver. Additionally, traffic on LAN/WAN is at the 4Mbps mark, with peaks (during downloads) at 60-70Mbps. These are exceptions though. DMZ traffic is very small.

Some 5 years ago, the backbone of the switching of my building was replaced with structured cabling: a cisco optical switch at the basement and some D-link managed switches per floor. I did not do something special at the time, apart from disabling STP on the switches and configuring them to be SSH'able etc...

Just when I started becoming an old dog (no new tricks to be learnt), a couple of months ago I stumbled upon VLANs, and utilized them for the purpose of having to "connect" together a foreign network between some building floors. Easily done on the switches with some VLAN configuration. I have left my original network traffic on the default VLAN (1) which is untagged for all purposes.

Question 1 (a bit OT though): I am one of two persons in our IT, however I am the only one knowledgeable on VLANs. If a switch goes bad during my absence, we're scre**d; we have one or two switches, but configuration is different. Noone will be able to program them properly :( Should I get rid of the VLANs and install cabling to do the floor interconnecting work?

Getting forward, I was thinking: could I perhaps simplify cabling and/or the configuration of my firewall, by following one of the following scenarios? Please do take into account that I have never configured/used VLANs on my FreeBSD system:

Scenario 1: this is doable I believe. Replace the 3 switches (LAN, DMZ, WAN) connected to my pc with a single managed switch. Distribute the switch ports to 2-3 VLAN groups (LAN=1, DMZ, WAN). Use a single network cable to carry 802.1q tagged traffic to my basement Cisco gigabit switch and then split traffic as needed. The only disadvantage I see in this scenario is that if something goes terribly wrong on the managed switch, it will be impossible to replace by my collegue. As it is right now, if a switch fails, it would be easy to replace it with a small (5- or 8-port) non-managed switch .

Scenario 2: I am not sure whether one could do this or not: the idea is to have a single NIC instead of 3 ones and then establish (somehow?) 2-3 VLANs on this NIC. I'm discussing the possibility of 2 instead of 3, since LAN traffic belongs on the native VLAN. A managed switch will still be needed, but at least I'll be needing a single NIC.

Which scenario would you recommend? One of the two mentioned above, something completely different?

Thanks for taking the time needed to read this lengthy message, much appreciated.

Both scenarios are feasible. As to 1 vs 2, mostly a choice of bandwidth and/or personal preference. I prefer the one-NIC approach myself (less wires less potential mistakes), but if you need 100% throughput both ways between two zones you need more than one NIC.

Consider purchasing two managed switches and just keep one powered off. Just remember to keep configurations in sync.

Both scenarios are feasible. As to 1 vs 2, mostly a choice of bandwidth and/or personal preference. I prefer the one-NIC approach myself (less wires less potential mistakes), but if you need 100% throughput both ways between two zones you need more than one NIC.
I see. I thought that noone would go the 2nd scenario way, even though it feels less cluttered.

Consider purchasing two managed switches and just keep one powered off. Just remember to keep configurations in sync.
Excellent advice, so simple and so feasible. I already have a couple of DES-3526 Dlink switches, I'll install them both in the rack and provide advice for my collegue to simply move cables around in case of failure.

Back